NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 26th, 2021, 12:31
NAXJA Member

Re: On-board welder, aka "the weldernator"

[QUOTE=XJlimitedx99;246725806]
Quote:
I like how you have it setup with what I'm assuming are a volt meter and ammeter, along with a breaker. Do you have a capacitor in the circuit or is it straight alternator juice? I can't imagine the alternator would be very happy maintaining conditions like that for very long.
The two displays are voltage meters, one for the field voltage (which is just the battery voltage since the regulator was bypassed) and the other is the alternator output (and receptacle) voltage.

Adding a big cap between the leads would help smooth out the output, but in the short time I've used this I don't see a reason to add one. I may later just to experiment.

Yeah, running an alternator like this is tough on it since you're essentially maxing it out. Not sure what the duty cycle is, but I've read on similar setups you can go through a couple of rods before you have to let it cool down. The alt does get hot and adding a little muffin fan would help. Probably not needed in this case since it's only for quick trail fixes.

Quote:
So, I'm curious. What do you do for work? What kind of experience do you have that gave you the confidence/inspiration to tackle this?
M.E., retired for a couple years now.

Quote:
Would this be possible using the vehicle's alternator?
It's possible, I remember seeing some kits sold like this. You'd have to add a switch to hard wire batt voltage directly to the alt rotor, bypassing the regulator. You'd also have to make sure the alt doesn't have avalanche diodes, or use an external rectifier like I did.
Old March 26th, 2021, 12:43
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
You can do the same if not better and definitely cheaper with batteries.
I've done battery welding before and never got good results, although only with two batteries. Started carrying some welding rods (along with jumper cables) in the Jeep just in case. One time had to leave a buddy's Jeep on the trail overnight and come back the following day with a real welder...the battery welds kept failing.

Also seemed kinda dicey shorting the batts out like that for extended periods of time...always covered them with floor mats in case they went "kaboom"
Old April 1st, 2021, 08:22
NAXJA Member

Something I forgot to mention...another benefit of these weldernators is that they can also weld RUBBER with this new special rod. It's an elastomer and butyl infused welding rod, available on Amazon (is there ANYTHING they don't carry?!).

Something about the pulses created by the AC to DC conversion full bridge rectification creates a microplasma that fuses the rubber together. Pretty cool. Worked great to repair one of my tires. I was skeptical at first, but check it out...

BEFORE

AFTER
Old April 1st, 2021, 09:11
NAXJA Member #920

Welding rubber? Sounds handy for fixing tires, but man that must smell something awful while you're working...
Old April 1st, 2021, 09:18
SoCal_XJ FB

No more using screws to fix chunking!

Old April 1st, 2021, 09:42
NAXJA Member

Immediately thought you were joking, then questioned my sanity as I entertained the idea, and finally understood the intent of the situation.

Smart science guy used the big words to make a funny that almost got me
Old April 1st, 2021, 16:30
Stranger

Who knew rubber was so conductive?

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Old April 1st, 2021, 21:01
NAXJA Member

Dang, can't fool any of you guys!