• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering upgrade questions/brake booster

IRPancake

NAXJA Forum User
Going for another trip at the junkyard in a few days and wanted to double check everything before I go, its sort of far away and you have to pay stupid entrance fees and stuff (but they have a ton of cars!)

- I read that the tie rod ends off a 93-98 grand cherokee swap direction, true?
- Do the balljoints off any cherokee (2wd/4wd, earlier/newer models, or even different models) matter?
- Also wanted to double check that the steering stabilizer would work off any 93-98 grand cherokee as well (there was one at the junkyard with a nice one).

- Another big question I had was about the trackbar. I found one at the junkyard that looked like it was in excellent condition. I went to remove it but I removed the cotter pin and nut and the thing wouldn't come out. Is there a trick to get it out?

- aaandd, I read the brake booster from a 96-97 cherokee is an upgrade. Is it a dual diaphram or just better some other way? and is there any trick to swapping it like the grand cherokee booster?

thanks in advance!

The dual diaphragm booster is a huge improvement. I got the booster and the brake pedal box as well. Very easy swap and well worth it. A little bit of bending is needed on the stock brake lines to make it all fit up but like I said its easy (you can bleed brakes/bench bleed masters right?).

John

use a TRE seperator accompanied by a BFH on the frame side of the trac bar and it should pop out

so the 96-97 is a dual diaphram? I saw it and it was huge but wasn't sure if it was any better or just bigger and didn't want to drop any money on it without knowing. I can bleed brakes, never bench bled but it can't be that hard, rght. So its a straight swap minus moving the brake lines a bit?

I used a Booster and M/C from a 99 Classic to replace my ABS system on my 89 model. One of my best MODS.

I'm definately going for the booster. I'm pretty sure though that the master cylinder was missing though, will mine now bolt on to the new booster?

Also do the ball joints from a 2wd xj fit onto the 4wd? figured it'd be a hell of a lot easier to pull them that way :rof:

The Grand Cherokee tie rod ends will work from those years. As well the steering stabilizer. If you have a 85-94 XJ the model year 95 and 96 master cylinder and booster is a direct bolt in. A 97-01 master cylinder and booster will need some modification. I do not know if your master cylinder will fit on the booster asI always pulled them as a set and swapped them as a set. The 2WD ball joints are different.

Check out this thread for more JY fun.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=951380&highlight=Junkyard

I actually just ran into that a few mins ago :) Sucks about the balljoints, o well, there was an xj there that had a set that looked pretty damn new, but I dont remember if it was 2wd or 4wd. Thanks!

its only the grand cherokee with the v8 according to that thread, or are all of them bigger?

V-8 version is the only one. It happens to be the drag ling and adjuster that is bigger. Not so much the tie-rod end. That is the weaker link on the XJ.

You need the whole draglink and tie rod assembly.And theres no way in hell Id ever consider trying to pull used ball joints,its a long job just doing new ones(and theyre cheap)!As far as the brakes go,what year is your Jeep?

its an 88

I'm on the fence about the ball joints I see how much work it is (but I dont have to be careful with a junkyard jeep :p), and they're only $3 at the place I go. So its not just the ends the swap in? I might just pull one from the 27 available XJ's there, there were some really nice looking ones

its an 88

I'm on the fence about the ball joints I see how much work it is (but I dont have to be careful with a junkyard jeep :p), and they're only $3 at the place I go. So its not just the ends the swap in? I might just pull one from the 27 available XJ's there, there were some really nice looking ones
Besides spending all day at the JY "TRYING" to get them out(youll probably damage them),you wont know what you got(just a really stupid idea).

thanks for the input, I'll just hold out on those and just go with the tie rod ends, I'm pretty sure mine are toast. Thats why I love this board, you probably saved me alot of time and some money and probably a LOT of frustration

Just a little side question, does anybody know the size of the hex on the brake lines. I'm going to invest in some flare wrenches. And if anybody happens to know, the rear brake line size for the grand cherokee (for the rear disc conversion, just in case I happen to spring for it)

Ok so I'm pretty set on the brake booster and rear disc conversion off the grand cherokee. Do I need to get a new proportioning valve for this setup or is the stock OK? and will the stock master cylinder on my 88 bolt up to the new brake booster?

When you pull the master and booster from donor vehicle it's just as well to use that proportioning valve. Do be advised for the rear disk conversion you will need to pull the axle shafts out of the rear end of the donor vehicle to get the backing plates. Make sure you have the external torx socket to get the pin out so you can get the c-clips off of the shafts. Get the calipers even if they look bad as this will be your core for new ones if you go that route. Also cut the e-brake cable about as far as 18" up. Makes it easier to hook up to it later with your XJ.

Thanks for the info! Do you happen to know what "E" socket I need? (I thought it was just a hex, either way I have the tools), I have a set that probably has it but just want to double check. Never pulled and axle but doesn't look too hard.

I wasn't going to get the proportioning valve from the XJ with the bigger booster because I figured it probably has the same bias because there aren't rear brakes

So I went today and they didn't have any Grand Cherokees with rear discs (I thought it was standard), so I came home with just a 95' xj brake booster/master cylinder and some new (non-cracked like mine now) brake lines. and a nifty looking steering stabilizer :p

Might check out some of the closer junkyards sometime in the next week or so

Can't wait till JY season here. That would be when the snow isn't so deep that you can't tell what the vehicle make or model is under the snow mound lol.

Back