NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old May 18th, 2019, 15:32
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Hard start; replaced CPS; CEL back on; won't start

So I replaced the Distributor Pick-up Coil (Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and it's been running perfectly with no engine codes for the past couple days.

Took maybe fifteen minutes to replace the part using only a Phillips screwdriver. Once I was done, I cleared the codes with the new scanner and nothing has resurfaced. I assume this cheap part won't last very long, but at least it was only $17 delivered (next day Prime). I may buy another and keep it in the Jeep, just in case.
Old May 19th, 2019, 06:54
Freakish Hand Strength

I carry a spare brand new genuine Jeep Crankshaft Position Sensor and a used tested good genuine Jeep Cam Sensor in all three of my XJ's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....
Old May 20th, 2019, 06:22
NAXJA Forum User

Update: I replaced the Distributor Pickup Coil (Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and cleared the engine codes with my new scanner. It starts right up and runs fine. I've been driving it for about four days now and it seems to be fine.

This was an easy fix. Just a Phillips screwdriver and ten minutes work. The part was about the cheapest I could find (also the quickest with Next-Day Prime shipping), so I suspect it won't last more than a couple years, but I'm planning to buy spare OEM parts to keep on hand for the next time these go bad.
Old May 20th, 2019, 06:24
NAXJA Forum User

Ugh. Sorry about the redundant post. Gee, it sure would be nice if I could edit my own posts.