• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uinta Mtns. July 10-12 09

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
What started out as just another trip to the Uinta Mtns to place the last of the caches for the 09 Geostash turned into one of the best trips to the mountains I've had all year.

We got out of the valley kind of late and managed to roll into Sliders Ranch just south of Evanston Wyoming around 5:00pm on Friday. After setting the camper up Paul (Tuxxj) hopped in with me to go grab a couple of photos of the absolute wondrously beautiful farm country right under the north slope of the Uinta Mountains.

Little did we know....
The wildflowers were starting to make an apperance. The evening light was wonderful
Sunflower001.jpg

The whole reason to go for the ride was to get this haystack.
haystack.jpg

Then we ran into this little guy
moose.jpg

moose2.jpg

A ranch on HWY 150 looking south toward the Uinta Mtns.
telepoles.jpg

Looking South again
roadpond.jpg

Anyone who says ranchland doesn't have its own special beauty is nuts...totally nuts.
wallhanger.jpg

Weeds on the road.
weeds.jpg

More Ranchland.
wideroadnoframe.jpg

Day two is uploading...

Day two...

Slider, Tuxxj, Clint, MtnTech and I (DaveW unfortunately had overheating problems soon after leaving home and had to bag the trip) Headed out to place the last of the caches for the Geostash. Weather was a little rainy and cloudy for most of the day but it didn't make it any worse.

The day started out with pancakes and Giant ham steaks.
Hamsteak1.jpg

Kirsten enjoying the cooler weather riding up to Moffat pass.
Kirsteninwindow.jpg

Tom's Jeep looking great at the overlook.
TomsJeep.jpg

The rest of us overlooking Beaver Lake and Whitney rez
overlook2.jpg

Heading down off Moffat pass
snakeyroad.jpg

Kirsten catching the photo bug early in life. I hope with her artistic eye she does something with her talent.
Kirstentakingpics1.jpg

Parking to place a cache.
cachespot1.jpg

My tire
Tire.jpg

We decided to go to a place none of us had been to. A little lake called Bourbon lake. Too bad for us, on the hike there the thunder and lightening started to pop. It was time to run.
Burbonlake.jpg

A little waterfall on the way out.
Burbonwaterfall.jpg

Day Three saw us with nothing to do...all the caches had been placed so we decided to go to a place I had never been....Blue Lake.

TJ watching the scenery.
TJinMirror.jpg

Some flowers on the way.
PinesandFlowers.jpg

A nice little pond
nicepond.jpg

Just in case Clint forgot where he could drive...we thought we would give him a reminder.
NoJeepingclint.jpg

Blue Lake, Just under Haystack peak
bluelake.jpg

Me, laying next to a log enjoying the view
bluelakeshoes.jpg

Kirsten taking more photos..
Kirstencamera1.jpg

Kirstencamera2.jpg

Can't see the water but we were placing bets on when he would fall in.
Gageonalog.jpg

A little waterfall by Provo Falls
Waterfall001.jpg

The BIG Provo Falls.
provofalls.jpg

Finally on our way to pack up camp we found these guys in the field.
crane1.jpg

It was an awsome trip....one of the best of the year.

Saw you guys all packed up on Friday and wondered where you were headed.
Nice shots, I especially like the waterfall shots, good composition and use of slow shutter speed. Sandhill cranes are cool too, love their call. We had them nest on our farmground in Morgan when I was growing up.

I cant believe I was not invited. I thought you were doing a little personal family thing not a jeep family thing. I'm Hurt!:smsoap:

Yeah you should have called or just showed up. You missed one of the best Uinta trips I've been on in years.

I called you friday night to bring stickers up too you but you did not answer. It was around 6 so you were gone by then.

Thanks Ryan, for reminding me how badly I need to get out of the Chicago suburban wastelands. Between you and Randy, I never get a break...

:D

OHHHH I can't wait...
So the last pict. of the crane... was that taken looking S. off 150 in the Pine Valley area ? Not too far off the Provo ?

Curt

Back