NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Sierra Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Sierra Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old September 2nd, 2020, 08:36
NAXJA Member

2020 SierraFest Raffle Proceeds

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to start the discussion for ideas from everyone about what they'd like to see be done with our $4,420 in raffle proceeds from this year's event.

Please post up your thoughts, be it a project, donation or other things for the club.

So far here's the ideas I've heard discussed thus far:

1. Work with the Stanislaus National Forest to install 3 remaining fire rings at the Hermit Valley Campground at remaining sites not yet installed. Cost is ~$300/ea ring, shipping included in that figure.

2. Work with the Stanislaus National Forest to install picnic tables at the Hermit Valley campground in other sites as only one has the picnic tables currently - costs to be investigated.

3. Cash donation to the Rubicon Trail Foundation to support the oil spill kits handed out at the Loon Lake spillway when we started the Rubicon ($100, $200 or $?)

4. For emergency situations, investigate purchasing a Sierra Chapter satellite phone - I know many of us have HAM radios and HAM networks are good on the Rubicon for contacting emergency services but other locations like Deer Valley/Slick Rock or out in the desert at RenoFest or down in the Shaver Lake area don't necessarily have linked HAM repeaters with the ability to place emergency calls through. Cost for a satellite phone ~$600-$800 + investigate a prepaid monthly service fee to activate the phone only on months we have an official club run. We could keep a reserve in the account to cover some initial phone fees for the next year or two from this years proceeds but in future years, we would need to build in a few extra $'s to each registration to cover the reoccurring costs.

Please post up your additional ideas or support for one or more of the already mentioned ideas floating around.

Thank you all again!!

Last edited by cj_mike; September 2nd, 2020 at 10:02. Reason: Updating fire ring quantity
Old September 2nd, 2020, 09:06
NAXJA Member

Re: 2020 SierraFest Raffle Proceeds

I think:
3 new fire rings at 300$ each -900$
Plus 2 picnic tables 700$ each -1400$
Plus Donate 100$ or 200$ to RTF for swag kits - 200$
Thats 2500$ so far.

Plus save some money for other hermit and DV maintenance

Other Hermit Valley needs:

bathroom paint
fencing to keep people from driving out of certain areas
If we adopt Deer Valley trail we should keep somme money aside if we need to purchase anything for the trail.

1998 4.6 stroker , aw4 XJ on 60/14b , 5.38s, grizzly/detroit, cage, 40s, psc big bore box , assist, 3 link,transgo aw4 reprogram
Old September 2nd, 2020, 12:19
NAXJA Member #616

Re: putting money towards Hermit Valley Campground:

I think donating equipment (upgrades) such as fire rings are great. Picnic tables.... possibly, but they might not last as long and I'd hate to see them get destroyed after a couple years.

Other stuff such as bathroom paint and other "maintenance" -type projects should only be pursued if we decide to adopt the Stanislaus NF end of the trail. Keep in mind that will require a commitment of man-hours for the labor. I'm not saying I think that will be a problem for our group, just an FYI.

Personally I like the idea of adopting the Stanislaus (HV end) end of the trail, especially if we can work out a deal if we can reserve the campground *exclusively* for our Sierrafest weekend. (Maybe trail adoption is a topic for another thread...)

Other donation ideas:

Rubicon Trail Foundation - yes, always a good idea

Also I would suggest a donation to the Blue Ribbon Coalition. They have always been thankful and supportive of . They are one of the largest, if not THE largest and most powerful advocacy group fighting on a regional / national level to keep our trails open.
Old September 2nd, 2020, 15:21
NAXJA Member

I started typing out a whole long response but realized I was just echoing Eric.

I would like to finish off the Camp fire rings though.

And this! Having the campsite reserved would be an awesome perk for adopting the trail (if possible).
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ View Post
Personally I like the idea of adopting the Stanislaus (HV end) end of the trail, especially if we can work out a deal if we can reserve the campground *exclusively* for our Sierrafest weekend. (Maybe trail adoption is a topic for another thread...)
92 MJ AW4 2wd, 97 mirrors. Future 4wd swap, 242, MJ 44, Eliminator Roll bar, Bucket seats, 97+ console

Last edited by Goose_XJ88; September 7th, 2020 at 20:37.
Old September 7th, 2020, 19:34
NAXJA Member

skipper brought this to my attention. I like it so far. we just need to see about paying for minutes on whatever device we buy, and get one where you pay for minutes as needed

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561269

1998 4.6 stroker , aw4 XJ on 60/14b , 5.38s, grizzly/detroit, cage, 40s, psc big bore box , assist, 3 link,transgo aw4 reprogram
Old September 7th, 2020, 21:30
Sierra Chapter VP

Only downfall with that setup is we can't make calls. Just sos stuff. Would be easier with a Sat phone for parts.
Old September 7th, 2020, 22:41
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alboy97XJ View Post
Only downfall with that setup is we can't make calls. Just sos stuff. Would be easier with a Sat phone for parts.
I think that one sends text messages?

Old September 7th, 2020, 23:21
NAXJA Member

Even though I'm not an official Sierra chapter member, I wheel with you guys a lot so I'll throw my 2 cents in....
- Yes on the additional DV fire rings, and as mentioned before would be beneficial to add the words "Jeep Club" next to on the emblems since 99.99% of the people using them have no idea what is.
- If the cost of the picnic tables really are ~$700 each, I'd rather this money go towards a Ready Welder or a land use organization. More club members will get way more use out the welder than the two (expensive, IMO) tables.
- Yes on RTF donation
Old September 8th, 2020, 21:40
NAXJA Member

yeah Ready Welder was an idea I brought up and a satellite phone - things the chapter could use forever and make runs go smoother and be more prepared.

Yeah the picnic tables are expensive. We could consider:
3 fire rings - 900
1 single picnic table 700
ready welder 600
satellite phone 500
RTF + BRC - 250$ each 500

thats about 3200$

Art I consider you a Sierra Chapter Member.

Old September 8th, 2020, 22:01
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondejoncherokee View Post
3 fire rings - 900
1 single picnic table 700
ready welder 600
satellite phone 500
RTF + BRC - 250$ each 500

thats about 3200$
Cool, and that leaves over $1K for Hermit Valley maintenance, Sat phone subscription, and/or trail adoption costs.
Old September 9th, 2020, 12:30
NAXJA Member

Costco has a Satellite phone package available. I keep seeing it when I go shopping, but haven't looked too closely. It's something like $250 or $350 (don't remember right now) and comes with pre-paid service. I think it said it does calls and texts, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Anyway, just a thought.
'91 Cherokee Larado, BDS 5.5" coils w/ACOS's, 6.5" Clayton springs, 37" Patagonia MT's, 4:88's, 35-spline D44 w/ARB and Explorer disc's in back, F250 hp44 front w/E-Locker.
Old September 9th, 2020, 19:31
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D View Post
Costco has a Satellite phone package available. I keep seeing it when I go shopping, but haven't looked too closely. It's something like $250 or $350 (don't remember right now) and comes with pre-paid service. I think it said it does calls and texts, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Anyway, just a thought.
It does text only...
https://www.costco.com/garmin-inreac...100419295.html
Old September 10th, 2020, 10:06
NAXJA Member

279$ is really good .

https://discover.garmin.com/en-US/in...#subscriptions

We could get a plan as low as 12$ a month.

Id prefer a pay as you go model versus a monthly subscription.

Old September 10th, 2020, 10:27
NAXJA Member

I just dont like the fact that we have to do monthly subscriptions. Im trying to find one where we can like buy prepaid minutes or something of that nature.

Old September 10th, 2020, 11:03
NAXJA Forum User

2020 SierraFest Raffle Proceeds

There are a couple different phones (iridium and Inmarsat) that take SIM cards and you can buy prepaid cards with different amounts of minutes. but the downside is that they expire after 1-6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk