• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headliner sag :(

nochance9

NAXJA Forum User
Well as the title says my headliner is really bad and only getting worse. I have taken it out and reglued it once already but it's not working at all... I just want to know what other guys have done to fix this. Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks

Here's mine...bought the material at Joann's Fabrics.
l_f4a98a9fdee04c0bb24ebcf97a8bfa18.jpg

Take it out, if your fabric is still good go to Michaels or your local craft store and buy the best spray on adhesive you can find and just stick it back down. If not like above pritty much any fabric will work, if seen neaprine (sp), dennium (sp), and just odd colors used.

I ripped the fabric out, then got sick of being showered by the little black fuzzies of doom. So, I tore the backing out, and reinstalled the overhead lights. It was a bit ghetto, but I got to dig it after a while.

:)

here is what i did and it looks amazing btw, I ripped out the fabric and sanded off all the foam n all that nasty left behind used the board that held up the foam and painted it black and stuck it back up.

Brushing out all of the loose crud from the backing and then vacuuming is essential otherwise all you are doing is gluing it to the loose foam dust and it will pull right back out. I did it once without a thorough brushing and vacuuming and it fell right back out in couple months. Did it again the right way and it lasted a year until I punched a big hole in it and broke the backing loading stuff. After that I just tore it all out.

I also tore out all the interior panels behind the front seats. Gained a lot of storage, its easier to hammer out the dents and dust is a lot easier to clean out. I prefer the stripped interior but then I just wheel it and drive to work.

John

You guys are pathetic!
;)
Go to the junk yard and pull a one out that is in good condition.
It takes twenty minutes.

I have been putting mine off too, but I have a sunroof. Due to the hot area where I live (Throughout most of the year) too much sun shines through and it's noisy from wind, I am going to close it off with heavy foam then cover it with a regular headliner. Will look at the junkyard, heard it is hard to remove my headliner because of how fragile the trim is.

get the 3M adhesive (IIRC its called Super33 for the industrial strength stuff) from an auto part store, Joan or the like may have it but it is designed for automotive carpeting and I have used it to hold carpet onto speaker boxes for years.

Here's mine...bought the material at Joann's Fabrics.
l_f4a98a9fdee04c0bb24ebcf97a8bfa18.jpg
x2. I helped a friend put a headliner in his Dodge Dakota with a similar fabric. The funny part was, we used 3M spray adhesive and on the back of the can it says, "Not intended for use on headliners" or something like that.

Does the 1995 use the same backer board? I pulled the keyless entry pod out and it didn't apper to have a backing board. I looked more like that rigid fiberglass board that they use to make ac ductwork. Tried peeling the headliner off where it's not sagging and the backer seems just to pull apart.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mine has that same fiberglass type backing. I was planning on spraying the snot out of it, letting it dry and re-spraying it when I apply fabric.

I've got the fiberglass back also('87). When I stripped the fabric and foam, I ran into the problem of the backing coming apart. The jeep's a medium-long term project, so I set it aside to think about.

Here's what I've come up with. We use a contact adhesive at work, Weldwood contact cement. We get it by the quart.

I'm going to apply 2 or 3 coats of this to the fabric side of the fiberglass back. The way it dries, the fiberglass should bond back to itself and form a hard layer. In theory, I can just lay the fabric down and press it in place after it tack dries, and reinstall the headliner.
My experience with the Weldwood and the 3M spray adhesive lead me to think the Weldwood will hold up a lot longer.

Just a heads up. If you are getting your fabric from Joanns go on a Sunday. They usually have a flyer right as you walk in the door with a 40% coupon on the front of it. Cost me $14 and change for the fabric to do mine.

why is this in mod tech

why is this in mod tech

Because none of moderators have had a headliner in so long that they forgot XJ's came with them from the factory, hence its a modification.

John

Ahhh I see thanks for explaining, My apologies for the stupid question :D

Thanks for all the advice you guys. i think i'm going to keep checking the junk yards for a good one since i practically live there anyways lol. And in the meantime i'll try pulling it out and regluing it because the fabric is still in pretty good shape. Last time i glued it, i did sand all that foam off and i used "Permatex heavy duty headliner and carpet spray adhesive" three coats to both the fabric and the board.... Maybe this time i'll try the contact cement. Also have any of you had problems with leaky hatch hinges??? Because it seems that every time it rains or i wash it the headliner gets wrinkly and it's falling down from back to front...

Back