• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgraded Headlights, daytime running light probs now

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Am very happy with my headlight upgrade as per gojeeps site, http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm, believe me this is an amazing upgrade!! Like driving on a night ball diamond! But I have run into an unexpected problem. My 93 ho up here in Canada came with daytime running lights, that is the lights sense forward motion and when the headlight switch is not pulled they come on @ less that 50% power. I believe this is screwing with my light upgrade. What happens is whether or not I turn on my headlights, they come on, and I cannot shut them off when the switch is turned off. The only sure way I can shut them off is pulling the fuse on the upgraded wiring and putting it back in, that seems to reset everything and alls ok. I have tried several things like when the light switch is off I can sometimes flash the high beams on and off and that will cancel the lights but this doesnt always work. Can anyone tell me how to disconnect this sensor that somehow turns on the drl's by this forward motion? Any help would be appreciated.

I replied to your thread on JeepKings bud, I have never looked at the DRL module, but I wrote about clipping one of the leads on the DRL relay, the feed for the lights.
Anyway hope this works, post up if it does, will be useful when I get my lights (rig) back in working order.

Oh Fawk, Canadian wheeler, I could kiss you! Woohoo! Seems to have worked! I found the little 3"X3" box on the passenger side firewall right between the washer fluid bottle and the firewall. It's a tight spot but I just unplugged it and voila, no more daytime running lights, I'll keep you all posted if this doesnt work but seems ok on my test run. Once again NAXJA comes through.

The diodes would not do anything, if you look at the wiring diagram the DRL are switched on when any kind of vehicle speed is registered from the VSS. But with the headlight upgrade it can only switch on your headlights at full power instead of high beams at half voltage due to the relays taking power directly from the battery.

I was going to do the headlight upgrade but I really did not want to get rid of the DRL.

tkjeeper said:
Oh Fawk, Canadian wheeler, I could kiss you! Woohoo! Seems to have worked! I found the little 3"X3" box on the passenger side firewall right between the washer fluid bottle and the firewall. It's a tight spot but I just unplugged it and voila, no more daytime running lights, I'll keep you all posted if this doesnt work but seems ok on my test run. Once again NAXJA comes through.

Your welcome. Just dont kiss me LOL

KamekLocked said:
The diodes would not do anything, if you look at the wiring diagram the DRL are switched on when any kind of vehicle speed is registered from the VSS. But with the headlight upgrade it can only switch on your headlights at full power instead of high beams at half voltage due to the relays taking power directly from the battery.

I was going to do the headlight upgrade but I really did not want to get rid of the DRL.
Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with the DRL systems.

Hey Kameklocked, I would give up the drl's any day of the week for the lighting I have now, no question. Literaly night and day difference.
Hey Canadian, don't worry I wont kiss you buddy but I am happy. By the way the only negative I have noticed from disconnecting the module is that now I have no high beam indicator on the cluster. No big deal to me for now but I would like to see if there is a way to reconnect the module while snipping a few wires so I have no drl's but do have my hi beams. I guess that will take some one with a little more auto electrical experience than me... 5-90, go-jeep????

tkjeeper said:
Hey Kameklocked, I would give up the drl's any day of the week for the lighting I have now, no question. Literaly night and day difference.
Hey Canadian, don't worry I wont kiss you buddy but I am happy. By the way the only negative I have noticed from disconnecting the module is that now I have no high beam indicator on the cluster. No big deal to me for now but I would like to see if there is a way to reconnect the module while snipping a few wires so I have no drl's but do have my hi beams. I guess that will take some one with a little more auto electrical experience than me... 5-90, go-jeep????

Read this thread from a local forum. At the bottom of the first page (i think) it tells u how to jump the connection to make your high beam light to work again.

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=98413&highlight=drl

Thanks again Canadian wheeler, came through for me BIG TIME!

Just finished this little mod including running a jumper wire from the number 1 wire to number four wire on the drl plug in so that my high beam indicator works. Big difference. Only have 100 watt high beams but on the look out for larger ones.

Back