• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 transfer case

Piece of ... Not by any means (IMO). Of course it depends on the type of wheeling you do. If its your DD and is not heavily modified and you only occassional wheel with it, then its a good transfer case. Its especially useful under winter or mountainous driving conditions where you may encounter ice on the road, thanks to its full time 4x4 option. You can run it indefinately under these type of conditions, where as the 231 or Command Trac is a part time 4x4 limited to 'softer' conditions. Hope this helps!

It's wonderful. For a comparison, the 231 has a max. torque value of 1885 lb. ft. versus the 242's 1486. The number for the 231 is based upon a manual transmission (2.2 load factor).

Having had the 231 previously and the 242 currently, I wouldn't change back. See this thread for more opinions on the 242 vs. 231 argument.

There is nothing wrong with the 242, its tough and will hold up fine. But I do prefer the 231 for what I do with my Jeeps. I have 4 XJ's and they all have 231's, Its personal preference.

90',95',96',00'

Having the 242 in my XJ and the 231 in my moms KJ, my vote is for the 242. The full time feature is very nice in those winter conditions where the main roads are pretty clear and the side roads are pretty crappy. Also handy for when your tires become racing slicks and you get caughti in a heavy rain.

Full time 4wd is the shiznit here in CNY. It does have it's limits though...in reverse going up a snowy driveway for instance the T/C will send all power to the rear axle, this is where the part time option really shines.

I really like my 242 - has come in quite handy during a couple of snowstorms/icy roads I have encountered while travelling. The only drawback in my opinion is the lack of variety of aftermarket gearing and SYE kits for it - you pretty much get the choice of a Tom Woods SYE, for about $100 or so more than the kit for the 231, or a hack'n'tap style, and as far as I know, no one makes lower gears for them.

My 242 took a dump at 213k, the chain stretched. Apparently this is quite common amongst the 242's. A friend of mine has 130k on his 242 and it's also starting to slip.

I swapped in a 231 with about 190k on it, and it's a much better transfer case. Not only does it handle more torque, it's less complicated without that BS Full Time 4wd, and shifts in and out of 4wd twice as fast as the "Two Fourty Poo." It's also smaller and less likely to get killed on rocks.

Go NP208J for part time 23 spline (may need a 7/8" spacer) Needs no slip yoke eliminator, and it handles the power of a 401 just nicely!

Back