• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 - replaced entire cooling system, still overheating

If only some had said earlier that your not very old radiator had likely gotten blocked because scale had been broken loose from flushing it...

I read the entire 29 page radiator thread (awesome thread BTW) and I agree that was most likely the problem. It's weird how many people eventually ditched their Mishimotos due to frequent blockages.

I wanted to give an unexpected update. After the aluminum radiator, my cooling situation dramatically improved and rarely went past vertical in any condition.

So, on to the next project. I had an annoying leak on the crank seal in the front cover, so I went ahead and got a timing chain set and harmonic balancer and installed those over the weekend, and in addition to no more oil leak, the cooling also definitely improved. The factory gauge did not hit vertical (210) at any time on the freeway or Whataburger drive through.

2001 XJ with 198K and there was quite a bit of slack in the chain. FSM says to replace with 1/2" inch or more of deflection and I definitely had at least that much.

Well news update - finally gave up and took it to the shop. They told me my brand-new NAPA fan clutch was bad! Problem solved. No telling how long it would have taken me to figure THAT one out........just glad it's running well now! Sure appreciate all the great help here.

Back