• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header question?

Silent

NAXJA Forum User
How do you tell if you have a cracked header? If you cannot see the cracks that is? Please advise.

Thanks,
Silent

Check torque at the manifold screws into the head, and check that the collectcor nuts are tight. I'd replace the collector nuts while I was about it - they should be 3/8"-16, and I tend to use brass.

Those are the most common leaks going. Also, cracked headers seem to be accompanied (actually, preceded) by failing engine mounts - so make sure those are solid as well. If you have to change the header, change all three of the rubber mounts as well (two for the engine, one for the transmission.)

5-90

I guess I will need to go over my headers with a fine tooth comb to see if I can find some cracks. Also, is that dented down pipe needed or can you get a new one?

Thanks,
Silent

Silent said:
I guess I will need to go over my headers with a fine tooth comb to see if I can find some cracks. Also, is that dented down pipe needed or can you get a new one?

Thanks,
Silent

That "dent" in the downpipe is of varying utility - it was done to clear the front DS. If you have a lift, you can probably get rid of it - but if you don't, you'll probably end up with a dent in a new pipe to match the old one...

5-90

Well, that is good to know. I do not have a lift at all yet. Maybe one day. Is there someone that makes one or what?

Thanks,
Silent

Look for dark lines of soot around the pipes where they come together...

old_crack.jpg

Are thorley headers better than clifford? Anyone know where the cheapest place is to find thorley headers and clifford?

Thanks,
Silent

I suggest throwing a bit of SeaFoam in the TB and letting it sit for about 5 minutes (eating off some carbon) and starting your motor up while looking at the header. You can then see where the (should be white or grey smoke from the sea foam) smoke is coming from, ie your cracked header. Simple and easy to do. Also a good time to inspect the rest of your exhaust for leaks too.

Also, Thorley headers can be had from Rocky Road Outfitters. They tend to be crappy to deal with sometimes and I don't know if I'd trust their home made products, but they get their headers direct from Jardine and you'll find the lowest price there.

Back