• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

digital cameras

GRIMUS99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
well as we all know christmas is coming up and my lady is asking for a new camera. I know nothing about photography nor what to look for in a camera. I am not wanting to spend much more then 300.00 or so

please any help would be awesome

For 300 or less, a point and shoot will be the way to go. Canon Nikon and Kodak make good stuff.

You want a point and shoot, or one with detachable lenses?

Gonna guess point and shoot, $300 isn't DSLR price range.

I'm partial to Canon, Nikon is decent too... just go to Buest Buy, find one that looks nice, and give em your money.

I got a Fuji S1500 when I had to have a camera with adjustable settings for a photography class I was taking, I love it. The auto modes work pretty decent and you can get in there and fine tune all the settings if you really want to. It's 10 megapixels, plenty enough for me. The only thing I don't like about it is it won't capture images in RAW mode. Other than that I love it. I found mine at a pawn shop for 120 bucks still in the package.

We have a Nikon Coolpix from about 2 years ago. 10 megapixel, compact, large screen on the back (it takes up the whole backside of the camera practically), rechargeable batteries, and the zoom is excellent. We're very happy with it's performance.

I have a Canon EOS dSLR, and on our vacation, there were some shots at the zoo I couldn't get (still original lens, not much zoom) that we used my wife's camera for and they came out excellent.

I had a Canon point and shoot before this Nikon and am glad I got the Service plan from Best Buy. I bought it when I used to work there, so I got it at a nice discount (camera especially), and we used the heck outta that Service Plan. They had a funky lens cover design that always screwed up. The camera went in for that thrice, and the lens malfunctioned once. 4th repair is replacement time, so we chose the Nikon as the replacement. Couldn't be happier. The lens cover design makes a lot more sense, and in the 2 yrs we've had it, there's never been a problem. The reason I mentioned my discount is because That Canon was a $350 camera that I got for $180. Since the plan only covers the amount you paid, not how much the camera actually cost, we had to buy something from a "lower" class than the Canon. This Nikon, like I've said, is a much better camera all around. Strong recommendation for the Nikon. My Rebel...that's another story, very happy with that one, but as mentioned, dSLR are not in the $300 range...

well as we all know christmas is coming up and my lady is asking for a new camera. I know nothing about photography nor what to look for in a camera. I am not wanting to spend much more then 300.00 or so

please any help would be awesome

I got one that I'd let go cheap.
Picked it up in a hotel room in Hannibal, MO back in August.
Holla.

Gonna guess point and shoot, $300 isn't DSLR price range.

I'm partial to Canon, Nikon is decent too... just go to Buest Buy, find one that looks nice, and give em your money.

You can get a used Canon Rebel in that range easy. Just get on craigslist.

I woudnt go to best buy unless you want to pay top dollar. Get on B&H Photo, or Amazon. The best deals are found there. You even get nice reviews of everything.

I got one that I'd let go cheap.
Picked it up in a hotel room in Hannibal, MO back in August.
Holla.

Dude, that is funny as hell...I'd give ya $20 for it and fill it full of pics of..well, use your imagination and then mail it back to its original owner :D

Jason, I have a Nikon and it does all I need it to and is small enough to pack along on the trail. Nothing fancy but serves its purpose. Had a nice Sony and it got ruined in the rain while I was taking pics of topless beauties in the rain at Rockfest. .......but the memory card was still saved!

I already posted some of them (edited) either on here or on RHXJ. PM me your email addy and I will forward them on to ya later when I am off work.

I have a Canon EOS dSLR, and on our vacation, there were some shots at the zoo I couldn't get (still original lens, not much zoom) that we used my wife's camera for and they came out excellent.

Did the rest of the pics come out good?

Dude, that is funny as hell...I'd give ya $20 for it and fill it full of pics of..well, use your imagination and then mail it back to its original owner :D

we can pass it around and all put a couple pics on it before giving it back :D

Jason, I got failed delivery notice when I sent to that email..you got another email you can send me?

on the way........

oh, and to keep thread on track...

the pics were shot with a Sony camera and I paid way to much for it and was not overly happy for the price :D

Back to the original point of this thread...

Don't fall into the more megapixels is better hole.
On a small sensor camera more megapixles is not a good thing. Don't go anything higher than around 8-10. If you do, you will end up with unacceptable levels of noise.

It is about 50 bucks more than you are looking for but it would be money well spent. Check out the Canon S90.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSh...TT42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287070548&sr=8-1

It has a fast lens, a good sensor and if you need them, full manual controls yet its still small and fits in your pocket easily.

They just came out with a better one. The S95 but its about $400.

Back