NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 11th, 2019, 21:40
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Help picking a MIG frame welder

I picked a new welder on Cyber Monday as well ! I ended up going with the Eastwood 250 - I have 240- 50A outlet in my garage so I thought this one would be good. It has a really good duty cycle for its size -60% at 240. I'll give a full review once I have used it for awhile.
https://www.eastwood.com/mig-250-welder-eastwood.html
Old December 14th, 2019, 04:50
NAXJA Forum User

For my first welding project I bought a DIY bumper. It gave me a lot of practice on 3/16 metal. One thing that was mentioned briefly was the helmet, make sure to get auto darkening which I think would be a great help to tack and when you first start your weld. Have an extinguisher handy at all times and not in an enclosed area where the fumes can’t escape. I’m still not sure about doing stiffeners due to the very thin metal of the frame. I also want to do 2x6 rockers but again thick to thin metal.
Old December 15th, 2019, 14:14
NAXJA Forum User

Besides thick to thin for the frame stiffeners you also have vertical, over your head, hard to see areas to work in

Just concentrate on pointing you weld gun tip into the heavier metal of the frame stiffeners ó as the try keeping the main puddle on the frame stiffeners steel and kind just brushing the thin frame itself

Itís not that hard to do on a bench laying flat but add in the work area your going to be in and it can be a challenge for a novice

Take your time and concentrate ó get in a position so you can see everything ó thatís probably the most important
Old December 17th, 2019, 05:05
NAXJA Member

I did frame stiffeners as a learning project a couple years ago. It was by no means my first time welding (had taken a couple welding classes and done a handful of smaller jobs) but it was my first true project. Going overhead and welding out of position was a totally new thing for me. I struggled at first but eventually got the hang of it. I'd say I learned a ton from doing it. If anything, I justified it to myself as being a good learning project because the welds aren't super critical in the sense that nobody's life is in danger if some of the welds were cold/didn't penetrate that well. At least, not as critical as doing something like suspension or steering stuff.

I bought an Eastwood 135. It works for smaller stuff and does a reasonable job but the duty cycle killed me while doing the stiffeners. I like having it around for small garage jobs but I outgrew it quickly. For anyone else looking for first welder recommendations I'd steer you towards a dual voltage machine.

I bought one of those cheap green welding jackets. Thing looks like swiss cheese now. Definitely go leather.

I bought a cheap HF auto-darkening helmet. Looks like its been through a war after all the overhead. The slag melts right through the face shield. Just recently picked up a new helmet because the old one stopped working properly. Through my research most mid-range helmets are not recommended for overhead work. Professionals recommend helmets with convex lenses such that the slag runs off the side rather than melting through. Unfortunately, you don't see that feature until you spend big bucks.

Also, gas >> flux core.
Old December 17th, 2019, 06:22
Stranger

While we are tossing out general advice about this particular job, wear ear plugs. Ears are designed as a bit of a natural funnel. Weld spatter will be bouncing around all over the place. Combine those two elements and you are liable to experience some memorable excitement.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Old December 17th, 2019, 08:47
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
While we are tossing out general advice about this particular job, wear ear plugs. Ears are designed as a bit of a natural funnel. Weld spatter will be bouncing around all over the place. Combine those two elements and you are liable to experience some memorable excitement.
well, maybe.....I mean if weld splatter gets in your ear, and you instinctively jerk yer head to shake it out, you just might knock yourself out on the chassis or a jackstand and not remember any of it..................

(at least that's how my luck would go.......)
Old December 17th, 2019, 11:38
NAXJA Forum User

You ever been laying under a excavator your feet hanging out the side and dozer comes tracking up on you you want to hear it. I'd rather be alive with lost of hearing then dead because I couldn't hear what's about to kill me.

I have a welding cap with flaps to keep spark out of my ears.
Old December 17th, 2019, 13:45
NAXJA Member

Pretty sure I could hear a dozer coming up.....even with earplugs in.....and feel it too.
Old December 17th, 2019, 14:16
NAXJA Forum User

You hear the sounds all day. It's when they get closer it becomes a problem. Lol

That's just my take on staying alive. I've heard bad shit can happen when molten falls deep in the ear.

On hoods. My favourite so far is my miller digital infinity view and clarity is amazing.
The lincoln viking 3350? Is also very good with out the unneeded bells and whistles
Old December 18th, 2019, 08:14
NAXJA Forum User

I have the Viking, it's pretty bitchin for a newb being able to see
Old December 18th, 2019, 15:38
NAXJA Forum User

Yes I've welded with the viking. Probably one if the best hoods on the market for the money
Old December 18th, 2019, 18:08
NAXJA Forum User

Great tips you guys. I have the rear section of exhaust pipe coming as my first project. Its not much but will get me going. The bumper kit sounds like a good idea too.