NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old May 19th, 2020, 14:22
NAXJA Forum User

Hard Brake Lines Ď99

Well my lines got delivered. Iíve been spraying my flare nut connections every so often when I remember for weeks. I bought flarenut wrenches. The very first one I tried to turn rounded right off...

All these lines come with brand new nuts. How bad can I **** something up if I get in there with vice grips? Do I need to keep my cool?

Iím going to go back out and try to find a better set of flare wrenches that arenít from Harbor Freight. Any advice or good video links greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 19th, 2020, 14:29
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Hard Brake Lines Ď99

Vice grip those suckers right off, anything you are going to screw up will be replaced on the new lines. A neat trick is also to cut the old line off flush and use a 6 point socket. Heat also does wonders.
Old May 19th, 2020, 14:38
NAXJA Forum User

Hard Brake Lines Ď99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclewolverine View Post
Vice grip those suckers right off, anything you are going to screw up will be replaced on the new lines. A neat trick is also to cut the old line off flush and use a 6 point socket. Heat also does wonders.

Ok thank you. Also I should be turning counter clockwise to loosen right? They arenít reverse threaded or anything

Old May 19th, 2020, 16:23
Freakish Hand Strength

Heat from propane torch first, then vice grips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Old May 19th, 2020, 16:45
NAXJA Forum User

Standard thread
Old May 19th, 2020, 18:02
NAXJA Forum User

Hard Brake Lines Ď99

Well I got the two lines that connect to the flexible lines. The long one shape got completely mangled getting it out. Do I need any special tool to bend the new long tube? Am I screwed if I donít bend it back pretty close to shape?

Old May 19th, 2020, 18:07
NAXJA Forum User

If it's any kind of a sharp bend then yes you should use a bender, you can "massage" soft shapes pretty easily.
Old May 20th, 2020, 04:35
NAXJA Member

Are you talking taking off the old lines or installing these? I installed this brand last summer. It was fairly easy. The main problem was getting the long rear line up to the master cylinder. It wasn't very difficult. The next would be the passenger side front. All in all, I like the kit. I used anther vendor's kit. It was about the same, except the passenger's front. I had to add bends. I'll use this kit again, on my next build. I warn people to check the hard line going to the rear. The stock one rusts bad, and you usually don't see it. Not fun when a brake line burst.
Old May 20th, 2020, 04:38
NAXJA Forum User

Hard Brake Lines Ď99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1 View Post
Are you talking taking off the old lines or installing these? I installed this brand last summer. It was fairly easy. The main problem was getting the long rear line up to the master cylinder. It wasn't very difficult. The next would be the passenger side front. All in all, I like the kit. I used anther vendor's kit. It was about the same, except the passenger's front. I had to add bends. I'll use this kit again, on my next build. I warn people to check the hard line going to the rear. The stock one rusts bad, and you usually don't see it. Not fun when a brake line burst.

I actually got the long line replaced by the shop like three years ago. I brought it in for them to check my work on my lift and they were like hey we should replace this break line before it bursts on you. So I just had them do that so I could pay them something.

Old May 20th, 2020, 04:43
NAXJA Forum User

Hard Brake Lines Ď99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1 View Post

I am taking off and installing. I got the two lines from the master cylinder to the front wheel wells done yesterday.

When you did it what was your criteria for retightening? Iíve read specific torque, which I donít hone how Iím going to do, Iíve read put locktight and Iíve read just do it till you canít see the threads anymore and youíll be fine.
Old May 20th, 2020, 05:44
NAXJA Forum User

NO Loctite and torque in a regular fashion!
Old May 20th, 2020, 05:53
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckholladay View Post
I am taking off and installing. I got the two lines from the master cylinder to the front wheel wells done yesterday.

When you did it what was your criteria for retightening? Iíve read specific torque, which I donít hone how Iím going to do, Iíve read put locktight and Iíve read just do it till you canít see the threads anymore and youíll be fine.
I just cinched them up tight as I could get them. I remember missing one of them and had brake fluid leak a bit. I didn't check the FSM for torque specs. I'll have to look and see about retightening.
Old May 20th, 2020, 19:06
NAXJA Forum User

Hard Brake Lines Ď99

Ok so I am chugging along. I could still use some help.

I got all the old lines and nuts off without much incident and tested the bleeders which were good.

I am having a really hard time connecting the new longer rear line on the drum side. The threads look ok to me. Everything came off easily, not sure why.

The other thing is I am driving myself insane trying to fit the new master cylinder to passenger front line back in. Has anyone used the Inline Tube set? The line is in two parts with a connector in the middle. The whole thing seems too long. Iím pretty sure I have the half connected to the master cylinder in correctly but the other half seems too long or like I need to bend it a different way.

Old May 21st, 2020, 04:44
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckholladay View Post
Ok so I am chugging along. I could still use some help.

I got all the old lines and nuts off without much incident and tested the bleeders which were good.

I am having a really hard time connecting the new longer rear line on the drum side. The threads look ok to me. Everything came off easily, not sure why.

The other thing is I am driving myself insane trying to fit the new master cylinder to passenger front line back in. Has anyone used the Inline Tube set? The line is in two parts with a connector in the middle. The whole thing seems too long. Iím pretty sure I have the half connected to the master cylinder in correctly but the other half seems too long or like I need to bend it a different way.

Yes, my last set was from Inline Tube. I think in MI. There is another set that is from OH. I did not have any issue with the Inline. On the other set, I had to add some bends on the drivers side. On the rear, I left the wheel cylinders a bit loose. Sometimes its hard to get the right angle to get the threads started. Sort of had that problem on the master cylinder lines.
Old May 21st, 2020, 14:33
NAXJA Forum User

Hard Brake Lines Ď99

[URL]https://imgur.com/a/3eGnNCj[\URL]