• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 MJ 2wd to 4wd swap

T180081

NAXJA Forum User
Couldn't figure out the keywords to search for this. Kept coming up with no matches.

Facts:
1) I have an '89, 2wd, 4.0, aw4, long bed, MJ.
2) I have an '87 4 banger NP231 t-case.
3) I am thinking of going to 4wd.

Questions:
1) What is the output shaft spline count for my '89 AW4 tranny?
2) What is the T-case input shaft count for the '87 4banger np231 that I have?
3) Can I change just the tail shaft housing on the '89 AW4 and be able to bolt the '87 231 to it?
4) What is the wheel base of a 4 dorr '87-91 XJ?
5) Can I use stock drive shafts from the above XJ?
6) Has anyone done something like this in the past?
7) Do you have a link for the above?

Thanks everyone. Sorry for a certain repost. I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Hey Tim

1: I "think" that 89 AW4 would be 21 spline (my 89 4x4 AW4 is) and yes if (#2) is 21 spline

2: Should be 21 spline...are you SURE it's a 231 in an 87 4cyl?? if so, does it have a double cardan front output yoke or a booted CV shaft?

3: I believe so.

4: I think the book specs at 102" mine measured 101.5" two weeks ago at SE chapter 4x4 show, when it ramped 832 LOL

5: The front one (from a 4x4 XJ or MJ) should work ;) see #2 ; the back shaft on my LWB with manual trans needed lengthened about an inch IIRC for a SOA. The LWB MJ is like 119" WB and takes a L-o-n-g shaft. I'll bring mine up there if we do some swapping around.

6: No, but was looking into it...an AW4 swap on my LWB using that 231 tcase you 'were' selling ;)

7: No, sorry

HTH

Last edited:
Thanks. I am just brain storming. See if I don't brain storm, my head might explode.

I will have to check the t-case, seeings as it is in the basement just sitting there. I am just too lazy to walk down and count. ;)

Back