• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken transmission line

slowjeep

NAXJA Forum User
so I was removing the upper tranny line from the radiator and didn't notice when it started kinking. Any suggestions on replacing either a section or the whole line?

thanks

Ivan

Dorman has em for pretty cheap. You kinked the metal upper section going to the quick disconnect near the middle of the radiator, right? I believe that section is part number 624-334, under ten bucks on rockauto or amazon. What year/motor is your XJ?

A 3/8" quick disconnect tool from autozone will disconnect it from the line by the middle of the radiator quite easily in most cases. You want the aluminum ones, not the plastic ones.

No problem. I've replaced all those lines on three jeeps with the Dorman parts, though I later converted one of them to a standard. After the second time the part number was stuck in my head :compwork:

I was looking at the picture and rereading your reply and I finally understood what you said. I'll have to disconnect that same line from where it changes to rubber hose. Pretty cool I was about to ask where to cut and how to connect.

finally went to replace the line, why didn't I listen and just go out and buy the aluminum tool, man!! i'll have to get some alum ones today and get it done first try.......

Hose the fitting down with a bit of ATF, then twist the hose/fitting on the part it's attached to until the grime breaks free. Then jam the aluminum tool in and twist back and forth till it feels like the fitting will come undone and it should pop off.

I learned the hard way that the plastic tools just get chewed up and become useless unless your jeep is brand new and rust/grime free.

You aren't pushing or twisting enough with the tool, probably.

Is it the plastic retainer clip or the metal one, in the hose socket? The plastic ones sometimes release easier if you squeeze the tabs in instead of trying to use the tool, the metal ones are always a job for the tool. Buy a new clip assortment before you pull it apart if it is your only vehicle, they tend to come out a little mangled.

Ken, you may know.

I'm having to replace the lower line on my wifes 98.

The picture online everwhere shows small short piece. It basically shows the quick disconnect fitting but doesn't show the whole line. What's the nummber for the complete line on the bottom.

I'm seeing either a 624-801 or 624-301. I ordered both from the parts house...

It's the second one. The full set of lines is 624300, 624301, 624334, and to make your life easy, 2x 800714.

Some years have slightly different fittings at the radiator, I forget which. Those all fit my 91, 96, and 98.

I'm tired of messing with the quick disconnects on the tranny so I'm converting the tranny cooler lines all to -6 AN lines. Does anyone know the size of the fitting for the top tranny cooler line at the radiator?

I think I used a regular old 45 degree flare fitting for a 3/8 line. Not sure what thread size that works out to but it went right on like it was supposed to.

The ones at the tranny are m14xsomething iirc, Mike (grimmjeeper) did a thread about them.

Thanks for the response Ken. When I quickly looked at the radiator before ordering parts, I measured the hard line at 3/8" so I assumed the fitting was a -6. I was way off. -6 fittings are generally used with a metal tube OD of 3/8" and have a 9/16-18 SAE thread size. Should have checked the thread size before I assumed anything.

I already have the M14x1.5 to -6 fittings (Part #: 9919DFHERL) for the transmission but I need a way to convert that top fitting at the radiator to -6 as well.

If anyone has any input, please let me know. Thanks.

I think it's an SAE flare (45 degree, and iirc different threads) rather than an AN flare (37 degree) and that's about it. I know I was able to use regular 3/8 flare plus fittings / flare nuts from AutoZone to make the connection.

Back