• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are you a Big Dog? Upcoming trip......

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
You don't have to be a big dog to be cool, and you don't have to be a big dog to have fun, but you do have to be a big dog to go on this trip. :)

We've decided to make the next Best of the West trip a fund raiser for the Surprise Canyon legal fund. So, if you're interested in a fun week of wheeling hard trails in the Arizona desert with some crazy NAXJA people, are willing to kick in $100 donation to Friends of Panamint Valley to reserve your spot, are in the SW or are willing to travel, aren't afraid of body damage, and can meet the equipment requirements.....keep reading.

The dates of next years trip are Feb 20-26. We'll be wheeling around Phoenix and Parker in AZ. Each year we've somehow managed to run six hard trails in seven days, in three different locations, and that's the plan for this trip.

Here's the basic equipment requirements. 33" tires minimum, two lockers, no D35's, no 260x front axle joints, no stock gears, low t-case gears with a stick, axle joints must have full circle clips or welded caps. Spicer front axles not recommended with 35" tires, and not allowed with over 35" tires, unless it's a D60. 8.25's are Ok for 35's with alloy axles. D44's recomend alloy shafts with 35's, must have alloy shafts over 35's. No stock steering with 35" tires or larger, and not recommended with 33's. The proper skid plates, body armor, spare tire, spare parts, and winch are assumed. Winch cable must be poly rope or be free of kinks if wire rope. Oh, and you need to have a thick skin......and be willing to wheel with the likes of Hinkley and CRASH. :D

Post up if you have questions. If you want a spot on the trip post or PM me with your e-mail address and a list of how your rig is equipped, and some of the trails you've run. Full details will be e-mailed as they are available. Spots are limited.

Goatman said:
We've decided to make the next Best of the West trip a fund raiser for the Surprise Canyon legal fund.
Will there be a donation jar for those that can't make it?

low t-case gears with a stick
Low t-case gears or alltogether crawl ration? How do 33's with 4.88's and stock tcase sound? I'll have to see what my vacation time looks like for next year, but maybe... I should know after the 1st of the year after all the projects are scheduled.

CW said:
What about a d44 with allow shafts, for 36's? I doubt I can make it I jsut want to know.

"D44's recommend alloy shafts with 35's, must have alloy shafts over 35's."

Kejtar said:
Will there be a donation jar for those that can't make it?

Low t-case gears or alltogether crawl ration? How do 33's with 4.88's and stock tcase sound? I'll have to see what my vacation time looks like for next year, but maybe... I should know after the 1st of the year after all the projects are scheduled.

You could certainly donate regardless, you'll get extra props for that.

With a manual you'll need low t-case gears, as even with 5.38 R&P you won't be low enough if you're only running the stock t-case.

Paul

:dunno: I wonder if I'll have my rig done in time?
Dana 44s front and rear.
4:88s.
Superior 33 spline Super 44 for the rear.
ARB, Warn/Superior/CTM's high steer up front.
You've seen the rest of my rig.
I'll try, but probably doubtful.
Dan.

TRNDRVR said:
:dunno: I wonder if I'll have my rig done in time?
Dana 44s front and rear.
4:88s.
Superior 33 spline Super 44 for the rear.
ARB, Warn/Superior/CTM's high steer up front.
You've seen the rest of my rig.
I'll try, but probably doubtful.
Dan.

Dan, I'd say you're qualified merely on the fact that you've survived Johnson Valley with us. ;)

Jes said:
Dan, I'd say you're qualified merely on the fact that you've survived Johnson Valley with us. ;)
Thanks for the compliment. :thumbup:
I'm trying as hard as I can to get this done. Lot's of money and lot's of parts chasing. It's going to be nice when it's done. You guys doing JV again this year? I haven't noticed anything posted on it yet. JV was cool last year, except maybe the 90mph wind storm.
Thanks,
Dan.

I've been out scouting some new trails up at Table Mesa rd.

I've found at 2 new trails that I didn't know about, Collateral Damage and Die Harder. Collateral Damage is fairly short with about 7-8 kickass waterfalls up a narrow wash. Probably a 4.5, and would be tough in an XJ in a couple spots. Die Harder is a way cool trail up a beautiful canyon with big waterfalls, and really big rocks. It would easily take all day, or more, with 10+ rigs. It's a 4.5+.

I hope to run both of those before February.

Other trails out there at 4.5 or above are Anaconda, Annihilator, Armegeddon, Twisted (5.0)

Is this being limited to a certain number of rigs?? Most of the trails I mentioned are pretty hardcore, and having a shitload of rigs may be an issue. Maybe we could have two different groups running different trails??

Looking forward to it.

Rick

If Rick and Hinkley are going, I'm definately not wasting my time coming out :laugh3: Besides, my rig isn't worthy.

OneTonXJ said:
If Rick and Hinkley are going, I'm definately not wasting my time coming out :laugh3: Besides, my rig isn't worthy.

It's tough to be hardcore.

I will be there for the weekend runs. Still have to work and go to school during the week. I have run the first part of Anaconda at table mesa. We had to stop early because someone cracked their knuckle in half. Maybe I will get to see the rest of the trail this time!
Stefanie

Back