• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing radiator and water pump next weekend; anything else?

maxbraketorque

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning to install a new 2-row radiator (replacing 1-row) and a new water pump next weekend. Last summer I replaced the fan clutch, efan, upper hose, the heater hoses, the tstat housing, and tstat. Anything else I should do while I've got the radiator and water pump out?

Tstat (Stant super stat) is new as of last summer. Serpentine belt also new as of last summer. Have accumulated only 4k miles since then (thanks to COVID and a daily driver to the majority of the miles). ok on flush. That's a good idea.

Tstat (Stant super stat) is new as of last summer. Serpentine belt also new as of last summer. Have accumulated only 4k miles since then (thanks to COVID and a daily driver to the majority of the miles). ok on flush. That's a good idea.

New rubber radiator isolators are never a bad idea.

The important thing is "what" radiator are you going to use, the number of tubes is fairly irrelevant?

New rubber radiator isolators are never a bad idea.

Thanks. I'll order some today.

I suppose this would be a good time to replace the front main seal and maybe the crank pulley/damper? No sign of degradation of either and the vehicle only has 110K miles, but the rear main seal was toast (almost literally) when I bought the Jeep and presumably the radiator needs to come out to replace these.

The important thing is "what" radiator are you going to use, the number of tubes is fairly irrelevant?

I'm trying the Summit Racing 2-row brass/copper. Some people have said that this is just a rebranded CSF 2-row, but comparisons of the two radiators and their location of manufacture indicate that they are not the same. The Summit looks to be very nicely made, and I'm hoping it will drop in without any challenges.

Flush the heater core? Can never be clean enough?

Thanks. I flushed it very thoroughly last summer. Built my own flushing kit using a Wayne Waterbug. Flushed it both directions starting first with reverse flow. Some interesting stuff came out the first flush, but nothing exciting after that.

Back