• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plug and play ATK 4.7

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know stroker post are everywhere, but I have a more specific question. Rod blew this week on my 4.0 on my 97 xj. I can get a 4.0 reman from ATK from www.gearheadengines.com for $1,619 including shipping after core returns. Or they have a 4.7 stroker for $1,125 MORE (I think it gets 60 more hp). They say its plug and play, no need to upgrade anything else since I have a 97 its mass air. I already ordered an apn header (I have an apn now, but its cracked). And already have bomb proof motor mounts.

I am leaning heavily toward the 4.7, but wanted some input from all of you. I need to decide in the next day or so, so that I can get it ordered.

I use this xj as my dd and off road about 6 times a year. I have a 3.5 lift with 32" tires, and 4.56 gears, and she has 147,000 miles appprox. I love power, and I love upgrades!

Also, I am open to any other ideas for reman engines. I do NOT want to build an engine myself, I don't know how, nor do I have the time... I am borrowing a ride till mine runs again. I am having a mechanic friend of mine install it.

I do have some 5.0 mustang injectors laying in the garage, I already have a 2.5 full exhaust except for still have factory down pipe. And I replaced the stock filter with a panel stock style K&N.

Thanks guys, I REALLY appreciate your input!
Jason

P.S. PLEASE pipe up if you have done a drop in stroker or if you have ANY dealings with an ATK! Or where to get best price!

Why bother with a reman? Just buy a low millage junkyard motor from a place like LKQ that will offer you a warranty. Hell I bought a 85k 4.0 for $450 shipped a month or so ago.

I really don't want to go used.

Why not? I just dont see the point when I can buy 3 4.0 motors for the price of one reman. If taken care of a 4.0 will see 300k easy. Besides ... if you blew a motor with that low of mileage you might want to find what went wrong before dumping a bunch of cash. Something isnt right with that motor or how you took care of it.

Why not? I just dont see the point when I can buy 3 4.0 motors for the price of one reman. If taken care of a 4.0 will see 300k easy. Besides ... if you blew a motor with that low of mileage you might want to find what went wrong before dumping a bunch of cash. Something isnt right with that motor or how you took care of it.

I am glad yours worked out for you, I just don't think its for me.

Yeah, everyone says 300k +, but guess what, this one went not even 150k. I change the oil BEFORE 3,000 miles, normally around 2,900. EVERY time. I don't drive it hard, and its my daily driver. So the idea of "ordering" one that has 180,000 miles on it that the guy says only has 70,000 is not all that enticing. Or, the motor really only has 70,000, and has been sitting in the yard for the last 10 years?

Did I mention this is my daily driver? I have to borrow a ride till this is fixed. The idea of doing this again is not enticing.

I just thought of something.... the 5.0 injectors I have are stock mustang injectors from an 89. What lb are stock jeep injectors? What are 5.0? The more I think about it the more I think they are the same!

?

Stock '97 XJ injectors flow 23.3lb/hr at 49psi. Stock '89 Mustang 5.0 injectors (orange top) flow 19lb/hr at 39psi so they're too small for a 4.7 stroker. Keep your stock injectors.

Stock '97 XJ injectors flow 23.3lb/hr at 49psi. Stock '89 Mustang 5.0 injectors (orange top) flow 19lb/hr at 39psi so they're too small for a 4.7 stroker. Keep your stock injectors.

Thanks Doc! So just double checking what your saying, since I have a 97 ecm, (mass air), then I can stick with stock injectors?

Thanks!

BTW, whats your opinion on going with the 4.7 ATK?

Mopar obviously likes ATK enough to buy their strokers and resell them for a higher price. The 23.2#ers didn't last long in my 4.6. I'm running the blue tops at 27# now, but my 96 liked the 25.5# LT1s better, so they will go back in.

I have the Golen 4.6L Stroker in my Jeep. I absolutely love it. It has been extremely reliable, very strong, and sounds great. I would seriously consider Golen motors. Chad is extremely knowledgeable, offers great technical support and answers the phone in person every single time. To be honest, the next jeep I get, will get a stroker put in before any other mods are made to the vehicle. The XJ with a stroker is a ton of fun to drive, and I wouldn't hesitate to put another Golen Stroker in my jeep.

They didn't. The 4.0L is all speed density, even in the last year of the Wrangler 4.0L. His info is incorrect.

You will at least need larger injectors and I highly recommend a wideband gauge.

Sweet, thought I was going to have to redefine my reality for a second there.

I still need to get a wideband, it has been on my todo list for a couple years now.

You will at least need larger injectors and I highly recommend a wideband gauge.

Whats a good source for injectors and what is a ball park price?

What is a wideband gauge, what does it do, and why do I want it?

Sorry for the newb to stroker Q's. Just wanna learn as much as possible quickly. Have to decide to order 4.0 or 4.7 by tomorrow morning.

The more I learn and think, the more I want the power!

Anyone have any idea what the expected life of a stroker is? I know there a million variables, but you know what I mean... 4.0's are know to go over 200k, what about 4.7's in general? I know its less, but how much less? Again, in general.

I think based on your inclination to mechanics and time constraints, it might be better just to get a reman 4.0 block. Theyre not super complicated by any means, but it doesnt sound like you have the time to research to get it right. The one thing Ive learned from mine is the second I started tinkering, reliability went down, mostly due to me placing more priority on money and time constraints than the patience and due diligence that getting it right required. Having said that, a prebuilt stroker should run ok, but not optimally, with bigger injectors. I would say research but I dont think you have the time since you need it asap.

Research and save for a rainy day.

I think based on your inclination to mechanics and time constraints, it might be better just to get a reman 4.0 block. Theyre not super complicated by any means, but it doesnt sound like you have the time to research to get it right. The one thing Ive learned from mine is the second I started tinkering, reliability went down, mostly due to me placing more priority on money and time constraints than the patience and due diligence that getting it right required. Having said that, a prebuilt stroker should run ok, but not optimally, with bigger injectors. I would say research but I dont think you have the time since you need it asap.

Research and save for a rainy day.

I like your thinking and agree, but I am trying to figure out right now if there is a downside to getting the 4.7 with injectors for now, then tinkering with it to optimize it and squeeze more power out.

What do you think, am I missing something?

A 4.7 with injectors will run. My 4.6 with injectors runs and is more powerful than the 4.0, but I dont believe its anywhere near optimal for efficiency and power. If you really want a stroker, now will be the best time to buy since you need and engine, as opposed to "I have a perfectly good engine that Im am upgrading because Jeeps are awesome." Im very guilty of this lol. You can buy now, run it for a while, and deal with it later. But just be prepared for it to keep you awake at night. Every night I hear, "Sean....Im not operating at full capcity....." It's haunting.

There really is no downside to running a 4.7L. I think you are expecting to bolt it in and drive as is, and that's not very practical. Talyn recommended the wideband O2 so you can accurately measure your air to fuel ratio. That way you can determine if you'll running lean or rich and adjust from there. I have a stroker and love it, but I agree wtih seanyb505. Based on the questions you're asking you'd be better off with a 4.0L. Bolt it straight in and no tinkering.

You've said you can't wait for a shop to build a motor, how come? You would save a lot of money over a reman. If you do decide the to do the stroker, having a shop build it would save you close to $1,000 over that ATK.

But just be prepared for it to keep you awake at night. Every night I hear, "Sean....Im not operating at full capcity....." It's haunting.

its already started and I haven't even pulled the trigger yet! Right now I am surfing back and forth from naxja to e-bay for injectors and the newer intake.....

This happens to me a lot. I built a FFR Cobra replica once... it was a long sleepless year!

Back