• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing GDI/Air conditioning condenser ?s

TRNDRVR

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing my new GDI radiator, which is going smoothly, but my AC condenser fins are so clogged/bent, I don't know what to do. It's amazing any airflow gets through there at all. Is there a way to "comb" those fins out, or should I just replace it?
TIA
Dan.

There is a tool the can fix the fins on the condenser that any good parts store should have. Kind of looks like a comb but has thicker fins to go between the fins on the condenser and it works on radiators. Mac tool, Snap On, Craftsmen, all have or make one. Juice

juicexj24 said:
There is a tool the can fix the fins on the condenser that any good parts store should have. Kind of looks like a comb but has thicker fins to go between the fins on the condenser and it works on radiators. Mac tool, Snap On, Craftsmen, all have or make one. Juice
Thanks! I'm searching for one right now.
Dan.

Ya Dan, what Juice said, most of them I have seen are red, have about 6 sides, for differently spaced fins, and have a white screwdriver type handle. If you've still got your GDI out, take your garden hose and blast from rear to front through the condenser. That could be some of your (if not most of your) hot temp problem you mentioned to me. Once clean, your A/C should work better too.

To replace it, you are talking some $$$ that I'd avoid unless absolutely needed. You still have R-12 in it, and will have to have it evacuated, change your condenser, then recharge. The R-12 is about $40-80/lb, and you probably have 2+ lbs. A good shop will recycle what you have, and only charge you to top off what's gone, but some will charge you full price for what they put in, to cover the cost of the machine.

Steve

Back