NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 14th, 2020, 06:48
NAXJA Member

An XJ build thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
Build threads are great. Forums are great. Having to third part host pictures.......total buzz kill

I just use tapatalk. It hosts everything for me. Have been using it for almost ten years. Paid 10bucks for premium one time and done. Every pic i have ever posted is still there.
No links to copy and paste. All right from my phone. Actually easier than posting to ig or facebook. Gives you sizing options. It doesnít host video though. So ill give you that. But youtube will do that for free.
Old April 14th, 2020, 14:03
NAXJA Forum User

Re: An XJ build thread!

That's some solid info. Gonna have to look in to it
Old April 14th, 2020, 17:22
NAXJA Member

Total ****in buzzkill. But sometimes you gotta sacrifice the ol' buzz for the greater good. Gotta get Tapatalk, been putting that one off for years.

Passenger side fender is trimmed. Progress is slow this week due to education
Old April 22nd, 2020, 22:29
NAXJA Member

Some headway made this week. After much violence, swearing and victory beers, I replaced my upper control arm bushings. They were SHOT. Had been putting this one off but due to this crisis, i ran out of excuses.

For anyone considering doing this, I highly recommend it. Very much worth the effort. But a total PITA if you dont own proper air tools like myself.
Old April 22nd, 2020, 22:37
NAXJA Member

I then finished trimming the front fenders and threw the basket and spare on.

So much work to be done still. But this is a very rewarding stage. I planned on just making this Jeep an overland style rig but I am quickly realizing the tables are going to turn and it will become a crawler.. Happy Earth day fellas. Hope you all are well.
Old April 28th, 2020, 20:08
NAXJA Member

Headliner replaced over the weekend. Was PAST due. The sag was serious and the P/O apparently had a greasy dome.

I initially was going to go with factory grey but i forgot how much i love a good flannel.

Last edited by upsidedownxj; April 28th, 2020 at 20:14. Reason: pic
Old April 28th, 2020, 20:28
NAXJA Member

With the heat returning here in the entrance to the valley, I quickly realized I need to address my transmission heat issues. I had installed this temp gauge shortly after I had the aw4 rebuilt last June. I tapped the factory port on the trans. Pretty sure Toyota had the right idea by utilizing this

Old April 28th, 2020, 20:29
NAXJA Member

Pretty cool. And good job getting the stripes to line up.
Old April 28th, 2020, 20:40
NAXJA Member

An XJ build thread!

Headliner looks awesome man. Nice work.
Old April 28th, 2020, 20:44
NAXJA Member

Decided on going the cheap route as far as an actual trans cooler. Nipped this off of a Mercury Mountaineer today at the junkyard.

Anybody have experience with this cooler? Pick n Pull is not as affordable as it once was, but after pulling the damn thing i was committed. Might take it back and go with a legit stacked plate cooler.
Old April 28th, 2020, 21:12
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdspearo View Post
Pretty cool. And good job getting the stripes to line up.
Thanks man, tried my best. Not sure if the limited trim level is a blessing or a curse here 30 years later. Haha
Old April 29th, 2020, 04:45
NAXJA Member

An XJ build thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownxj View Post
Decided on going the cheap route as far as an actual trans cooler. Nipped this off of a Mercury Mountaineer today at the junkyard.

Anybody have experience with this cooler? Pick n Pull is not as affordable as it once was, but after pulling the damn thing i was committed. Might take it back and go with a legit stacked plate cooler.

I donít have experience with that cooler, but I did add an external cooler to my XJ. Not sure what you paid, but a general purpose cooler I picked up was $50ish shipped. Pretty cheap for improved cooling for the trans.

Quote:
With the heat returning here in the entrance to the valley, I quickly realized I need to address my transmission heat issues. I had installed this temp gauge shortly after I had the aw4 rebuilt last June. I tapped the factory port on the trans. Pretty sure Toyota had the right idea by utilizing this

Iím going to be doing a trans gauge myself. Unfortunately that port isnít open on the 99ís. Iím going to have to cut into the steel lines and add mine.

Quote:
Headliner replaced over the weekend. Was PAST due. The sag was serious and the P/O apparently had a greasy dome.

I initially was going to go with factory grey but i forgot how much i love a good flannel.

Ok, please tell me where you got the fabric. All I find online are kits with solid color.

Oh, and Iím jealous of your overhead console. I would love to find one to add to mine.

Nice rig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 29th, 2020, 12:28
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNuge View Post
I donít have experience with that cooler, but I did add an external cooler to my XJ. Not sure what you paid, but a general purpose cooler I picked up was $50ish shipped. Pretty cheap for improved cooling for the trans.

Iím going to be doing a trans gauge myself. Unfortunately that port isnít open on the 99ís. Iím going to have to cut into the steel lines and add mine.

Ok, please tell me where you got the fabric. All I find online are kits with solid color.

Oh, and Iím jealous of your overhead console. I would love to find one to add to mine.

Nice rig!
Thanks man! The trans gauge is super nice to have. But pushing 33s with 3.55 gears right now , mine is definitely warmer than it should be.

I paid 20 for the cooler. Should do the job though. Made in Canada.

I got the fabric off http://fabric.com. Not many patterns that are wide enough for headliners but this one i got is great.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 20:29
NAXJA Member

After some trimming and fitting this Ford cooler was tits; as far as fitment. Bypassed the radiator for now. This car wont see many cold temps for a while. I have a quattro to get me to Tahoe in the winter.

Last edited by upsidedownxj; May 2nd, 2020 at 20:31. Reason: pic
Old May 2nd, 2020, 20:33
NAXJA Member

Also scored a Drop bracket kit to fix my nasty short arm angle. I swore I wouldnt put any RC parts on this thing but its hard to pass up a really good deal.