• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case yoke problems

*xj-man*

NAXJA Forum User
Well after taking off my front driveshaft, i noticed a problem with my transfer case yoke in the front. I can move the yoke assembly in and out about 1/8 of an inch. I took off the yoke and nut and was able to do the same thing to the shaft(in side the transfer case) about 3/16 of an inch.. Whenever i go in 4wd i can feel the front driveshaft "clunking" in and out, but i know its not the axle pinion..
any thoughts?
np231

End play is usually of no concern,I doubt it has anything to do with your issues.

if you had a badly enough stretched chain it'd slip. that's usually a good telltale sign

The chain wouldnt have anything to do with the shaft end-play.A stretched chain can usually be heard rubbing in the case,if the chain/gear gets worn enough they can start to skip teeth.

I had a seriously stretched chain, and as anyone who wheeled with me this summer can attest, you KNOW when it is skipping teeth. However, there might be some relationship on runout, since I noticed about 1/4 inch of play in my rear shaft/yoke when I pulled the case to solve my chain problems...:dunno:

i finished my sye (full shaft replacement, not hack n tap) on friday night, and the case hasn't gone back into the jeep yet.... i just checked my yokes for end play, and there are none. the load that is seen by the shafts is primarily torsional and lateral, and virtually nothing axial, so i don't think i'd worry about it too much, but at the same time i wouldn't forget about it. just make sure it doesn't get way worse.

i just tightened the main yoke bolt and put the driveshaft on and everything is nice and snug... and no more noise.. i guess something could have been loose. thanks for everyones help

i just tightened the main yoke bolt and put the driveshaft on and everything is nice and snug... and no more noise.. i guess something could have been loose. thanks for everyones help

those suckers get torqued to 120-150 ft lbs, just so you know. btw, that's on a scale from 1 to tight, that's mother f-ing tight.

Back