• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission issue

19xj87

NAXJA Forum User
So I fd up and sunk my 97 cherokee I don't know if it's causing the issue of not but I have changed all fluids and filters and dropped pans and cleaned. But today driving maybe 15 minute trip to pay bills in town and noticed the jeep smoking and engine reved up no go. Pulled over imeadiatly to find the transmission fluid being pushed up and out the dipstick tube. Obviously no go due to not enough fluid. What could cause this issue? Also I removed tranny cooler factory lines and ran new fittings with new 3/8" lines and fittings to my new radiator i doubt that can be the issue? I'm stuck pushing up out the dipstick due to getting hot? Also it's the aw4 transmission

Last edited:
Even if you drained the fluid, it's likely you have water in your torque converter...maybe even sludgy, water/fluid mix.

This might be one of those times when a power flush is recommended. Water in the tranny can screw up valve bodies, pump etc. Complete flush and replacement...is what I would do...and stay away from water.

By no means a aw4 expert but it sounds like you still have water in your trans. Could you have reconnected the cooler lines backwards? Over fill? Normally heat is the cause of trans fluid :puke: out the dipstick. I bet water in the trans would cause it as well. Maybe not but either way I'd drain and refill the trans a coupled times to make sure. You can also run one cooler line in a drain pan and another into a gallon of dex3, start the jeep and flush the trans that way. Just make sure to check your gallon of trans fluid often and don't let it go empty, and your drain pan so it doesn't overflow. Obviously verify you have the correct lines in the correct container. I've beaten an AW4 to the ends of hell and back and still driven home. Pretty stout piece of work. About the only way to kill one is improper type of fluid, or power flushing. My .02 anyway. I'm sure someone else will give you other ideas. Good luck and let us know what you figure out.

Beat me to it. Lol

Thank you for your input I appreciate it I'll try to flush it like mcnamaag said. I know the lines are correct verified off my buddies jeep. I will try this weekend and see what happens.

Good luck and please let us know the outcome. I'd suggest a filter change once you're finished.

Sounds like your fluid is getting hot and boiling and the dipstick, normally though it should come out the vent hose that's on top of the trans. Your best bet is to drop the transmission and remove the torque converter and inspect and drain both. Removing the trans isn't as big a job as it sounds and with the help of a buddy and the right jack to support it can be done in a few hours. would also be a good idea to clean out the lines and the radiator where the lines run into and trans cooler if you have one.

You should never have fluid coming out of the vent tube. Its to release fumes similar to the crank case vent or cpv.

Update. Took the jeep and had a flush done on transmission. And have been driving it for a few days now seems to be acting normal. Guy at transmission shop said water was more or less diluting fluid and made its slip or allow pressure to leak by and possibly getting hot to come up and out dip stick tube

Back