• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In need of help tracking problem

hizzo3

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, new here. I have a '96 XJ 4x2 with the I4 engine with 120k on it. ran great untill recently.... now it seems to miss a cyl randomly, and this seems to increase as it gets colder, also has a really rough idle, and sometimes dies stepper motor, air intake temp sensor? I know i need O2 replacement, but would that cause this? Also have noticed a slow ticking at idle... thinking this is a sticky valve?

am i right on those? also are there any rebuild kits for the engine?

Is your check engine light on? Did it throw a code for an o2 sensor? If so, put a new one in and start there. If your o2 sensor is shot then it could cause some of those issues.

Ticking at idle: Is it only at idle? Does it get louder at higher RPMs?

yes the check engine light.... i cant remember the codes, but i did the ignition on/off/on trick and got them. they pointed to the O2 sensors. They got coated when i bought it at 96k miles, and i dumped in some seafoam to clean her out. she was blowing smoke for the first 5 mins...

the tick is defined at idle, but seems to dissapear the moment the accelerator is pressed. not sure if it drowned out or what. Also forgot to mention that when i give it a lil gas, then let off, it stubles for a second or 2 and then comes back, as if it is looking for where it should sit. this also increases with lower temps.

i will start with the O2 sensors (stupid $80 a pop) and see if that helps. Thanks.

If I remember correctly I think I got o2's for $60 each at auto zone, might want to check there. Start with those and see what happens and then post your results to let us know what is going on.

The tick could be many things but start with the o2 sensor as soon as you have a chance and $

I just updated the post on BG44K.I know it's not cheap to replace the O2 sensors,but it will probably help.Read what I wrote in the 44K thread,might want to try that also,it really works.let us know what happens

i dont think its the injectors fireing, unless only one is making the noise... at idle it is distintive it is at every second or so. and its only 1. its a really dull tick/thud sound. almost like a quiet version of metal hitting plastic... at first i thought it was my keys, but it wasnt... i am getting O2 seonsors tonight...and will start there... also getting a new belt and pulley (if i can figure out which one is making that nasty squeak)
Thanks ya'll

Ok seems it was the O2 sensors.... when i got down the to do that after catalyst sensor, i notices the harness had been rubbing on the driveshaft, and had eaten completely through the blue and white wires..... easy splice though with some 18 gauge teflon wire i had left over from my bike repairs. Rough idle and random misses seem to be gone. Also that odd sound i was hearing changed. It is much more defined. so i think ya'll were right on the injectors fireing... Is that a bad sound indicating they need work down the way or normal?

This site is great. Thanks.

Glad to hear you got the problem ironed out. Keep the O2 sensors in the back of your mind though, When you get a chance you will probably want to grab 2 new ones

Back