NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 28th, 2019, 16:07
NAXJA Member

Re: Another death wobble thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by notamechanic View Post
I was thinking about ordering cav fabs mount too. Might as well. What stabilizer did you order?
a shitty procomp one that i saw on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old March 28th, 2019, 16:18
NAXJA Member

I just checked tracking and the mounts don't arrive until next thursday.
Old March 30th, 2019, 07:27
NAXJA Member

Have you tried mounting the DL under the pitman arm and checking the angles? In this video he says it's an option depending on your lift size. I don't know if it will work. Just a thought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSG9GRvkSH0
Old March 30th, 2019, 08:59
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyman6 View Post
There is a reason jeep put a stabilizer on these vehicles. Hitting bumps between 40 and 55 mph can start a oscillation that results in a death wobble. I know everyone says if everything is perfect u dont need a stabilizer but not all roads are smooth. Put a good fox stabilizer on and be done with it.
yeah...jeep put the stabilizer on to hide/cover this up hoping the worn out parts causing it would make it past the warranty period so they didn't have to replace them.
Old March 30th, 2019, 18:00
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCM View Post
yeah...jeep put the stabilizer on to hide/cover this up hoping the worn out parts causing it would make it past the warranty period so they didn't have to replace them.
I think different.

Every vehicle I have worked on whether it is British, Japanese, US or any European vehicle that is equipped with a steering box instead of a rack and pinion have a steering stabilizer of some sort. Jeeps like VW's from the beginning of time have a hydraulic stabilizer. My 1994 Toyota pickup have a friction bracket bolted to the frame on the passenger side and the steering linkages attached to it.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old March 30th, 2019, 18:54
NAXJA Forum User

[QUOTE=Joeygo;246639298]Have you tried mounting the DL under the pitman arm and checking the angles? In this video he says it's an option depending on your lift size. I don't know if it will work. Just a thought.
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSG9GRvkSH0[/url

Couldnít hurt to try. My draglink and trackbar angles will be a little more off, but possibly the lesser DL angle could help?
Old March 30th, 2019, 18:56
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I will for sure be ordering a new stabilizer and mount once the funds are here. Toughest part about this problem is that my wallet is empty right now so Iím just dealing with the issue
Old March 31st, 2019, 05:08
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno1154 View Post
I think different.

Every vehicle I have worked on whether it is British, Japanese, US or any European vehicle that is equipped with a steering box instead of a rack and pinion have a steering stabilizer of some sort. Jeeps like VW's from the beginning of time have a hydraulic stabilizer. My 1994 Toyota pickup have a friction bracket bolted to the frame on the passenger side and the steering linkages attached to it.

And every one of those manufacturers had to worry about replacing worn parts under warranty as well................

All cars use to be sold with a spare tire too....but not any more.............

A steering stabilizer just masks when the parts start to wear......but it can't mask when they are severely worn...so all it does is buy time.............wonder why ??
Old March 31st, 2019, 10:27
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeygo View Post
Have you tried mounting the DL under the pitman arm and checking the angles? In this video he says it's an option depending on your lift size. I don't know if it will work. Just a thought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSG9GRvkSH0
I installed it that way initially and experienced deathwobble. Then when i noticed that the angles were off i switched it and the death wobble continued.

Old March 31st, 2019, 10:30
NAXJA Member

I think that i found my issue. I just crawled under my jeep and found movement in my rubicon express hd track bar. It seems that the issue is with the threading. Where the end link threads onto the track bar on the driver side. I just looked up their warranty and it's lifetime so i'll remove it and walk into 4 wheel parts during the week.
Old March 31st, 2019, 11:22
NAXJA Member

Quote:
And every one of those manufacturers had to worry about replacing worn parts under warranty as well................

All cars use to be sold with a spare tire too....but not any more.............

A steering stabilizer just masks when the parts start to wear......but it can't mask when they are severely worn...so all it does is buy time.............wonder why ??
Very true.

All vehicle manufacturers install parts to mask worn out parts that will wear out over time.

Shocks are only there to mask a poor suspension design which if they were not present will allow the wheels to oscillate to the point the vehicle will become unusable. I just replaced the front shocks a third time in 18 years ( first time with el cheapo which were replace with 5150's and now with 5165's).

The vibration damper on the front of the engine is only there to smooth/minimize the irregularities/imperfections in crank shaft design in addition to the slight imbalance of other internal engine parts.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 17:51
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrick94 View Post
I think that i found my issue. I just crawled under my jeep and found movement in my rubicon express hd track bar. It seems that the issue is with the threading. Where the end link threads onto the track bar on the driver side. I just looked up their warranty and it's lifetime so i'll remove it and walk into 4 wheel parts during the week.
Any updates on your DW? And did the steering stabilizer help?
Old April 3rd, 2019, 19:15
NAXJA Forum User

A steering stabilizer will never solve DW problems, it may mask it until your in a very bad situation!
Old April 5th, 2019, 07:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Any updates on your DW? And did the steering stabilizer help?
I know that is true, but if it enables me to drive over 30mph for the time being and until I can afford to start replacing other parts, I'd be pretty happy.
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:00
NAXJA Member

Quote:
I know that is true, but if it enables me to drive over 30mph for the time being and until I can afford to start replacing other parts, I'd be pretty happy.
the stabilizer brackets were supposed to arrive yesterday but they didn't show. I found my trackbar to be loose so i tightened the jam nut and i was able to now go 50 before I got deathwobble. I then had a friend turn the wheel while i looked under and the trackbar brace was loose on the passenger side. I tightened that down as well and deathwobble is almost completely gone. It's not so violent but it does move around a bit if i hit a bump at 55 or so. This weekend I plan to rotate my tires and see how it does. I plan on running the stabilizer anyway but i want to ensure that i fix the issue before installing it. I'm also going to replace my balljoints in the near future since that is practically the only part in my front end that i haven't replaced.

I'm just amazed that my trackbar brace was loose and my trackbar adjustment jam nut was loose all this time and my stock steering with stabilizer was hiding the issue.