• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Problem?

90NHXJ

NAXJA Forum User
This is 90nhxj's wife:
I have a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Limited Edition and all of the lights have flickered on/off quickly several times in a row while driving at night. It seems like all of the electrical is being turn on/off by a switch. When I hit hit the gas the Jeep hesites until the lights flicker back on. This has happened about three times within the past 2 months. Any ideas on what could be going on? Also, my rear brake light on my rear window has been replaced many times, my display consol will show that the light is out. Sometimes it shows that it is ok and then I use the brakes and it lights up again that it is out. Is there a bad ground causing this problem? Help?

I know next to nothing about the Grand and/or post 96. But a couple of general things, that are worth a look. Battery cables, the connectors at the battery, seem to do worse, when they are corroded, in the wet months, fall and spring. I´ve learned to always clean the battery lugs, as part of my fall service.
Is it possible your lights blinking, could be connected to the air conditioning compressor, cycling (switching on and off)? The compressor cycles (turns on and off automatically), in the defrost position also, at least on XJ´s, imagine it´s the same for yours.
JNeary can probably give you some better, probable answers to your questions. He is much better at later model XJ´s and Grands than I.

Could be as simple as a loose or corroded battery connection or ground, but I'd also recommend asking this at www.nagca.com as they might be more familiar with 'quirks' for that year.

Back