• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who deserves the Carnage Award this year?

Who should receive the Carnage Award this year?

• Redrider2911

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • Matt West

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
We have two nominees for the Carnage Award this year.

#1 Redrider2911:
Missing both quarter back windows, and full back window. Roof buckled at the back and part of the hatch skin torn off. All from the flop. lol One of the quarter windows was from a tree on a trail. Its not like it was pretty before though...

Oh, and the steering column is now completely broke. I had to tape it to stop it from rotating and shutting the jeep off or locking up on me. Then when I wanted to shut it off I had to untape it again. lol That was my fault though, I tried to force the steering wheel back to unlock it while coming back on to the tires after the flop.
HoneyBee814.jpg

HoneyBee837.jpg

HoneyBee838.jpg

HoneyBee844.jpg

DSCN1711.jpg

photos by redrider2911

#2 Matt West:
The shaft let go just short of the Chinook pass summit heading home. There was a loud bang and the wheel sheared off at highway speed.

All things considered we are very lucky.
Avanteone said:
Everything on Matt's rig points to a broken shaft, rather than a wheel bearing failure. The press-on bearing retainer and the bearing itself were walked up the shaft about 1/8" from where they are normally pressed on to. There were no signs of excessive heat, bluing, etc. The race and the bearing were still smooth, so it didn't seize or spin on the shaft. I think the shaft partially broke at some point over the weekend, and finally gave up heading up the hill, and the jagged edges of the shaft as it rotated forced the end out and pushed the bearing up.

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

048.jpg

photos by Avanteone

Anyone can vote on who they think deserves the award. The poll will close on Monday 7/5.

Last edited:
As matt's is pretty bad, it is a easy fix. Red rider gets my vote as he now needs a whole new rig! Just wish I could have witnessed the flop;)

As matt's is pretty bad, it is a easy fix. Red rider gets my vote as he now needs a whole new rig! Just wish I could have witnessed the flop;)
It was beat to start with and he drove it home.... Matt on the other hand... not so much.:callme:

It was broke on the road! That's not from the trail... If this is the case, why is Dave (glue and tape) not up for this? He broke so bad on the way up he didn't even make it!

It was broke on the road! That's not from the trail... If this is the case, why is Dave (glue and tape) not up for this? He broke so bad on the way up he didn't even make it!

lol Thats what my girlfriend said. It was clearly after the event... Although they did say it possibly did break on the trail, the bearing just wasnt forced out till on the freeway.

Good thing Cherokees are disposable.

If this award was given out on time, Matt wouldn't even be in the running.

Good thing Cherokees are disposable.
QUOTE]

I really liked that blue though, that is until I saw how many?... 3 other xjs the same color at NWFEST. lol Good color with the bright orange underneath. Let me know if you guys see any blue shells laying around for sale.

Beyond the location...

1. The snapped D44 shaft was on 33's
2. It ate a lot of other parts when it finally let go: brake rotor, caliper, bearings, mud flap hanger, etc.

But the subtle pieces that struck me most about the power of the incident was how cleanly the mud flap bar was wrapped around the Thor guard and the hundred foot groove in the road.:D

That said the Wood one will be repaired and will continue to run trails is a sporting fashion... so this may not be its last chance for the trophy.:wave1:

Cheers,
Matt

As much as I think Matt's carnage was crazy and really lucky, it didn't actually happen on the trail...and it was only one shaft, which would put many in the runnings. What makes it really good carnage is the fact that it was HORRIBLE timing.

Having to replace a whole rig is more carnage IMO, it's not about the most dangerous results...it's about the most damage to me.

But with that said, Matt, glad you're OK and getting back on the trails soon.

~Scott

Congrats Kris.

So what's the plan for the Jeep? Body swap, or time to bust out the sawzall?

PM me an address and we'll get the Carnage Award shipped out to you.

Only catch is, you have to bring it back next year. It's up to you if you want to defend the title or not. :D

Well, im gonna grab a column from a junk yard tomorrow so I can atleast drive the thing. It is still my daily driver... I like a cherokee because it is a cherokee and im not a big fun of cutting it apart so ill just leave it how it is and wheel it. Its summer and doesnt rail too much over here so I dont really need windows. Eventually Im buying my woman a Jeep and that will be the new "company" poser rig. Then Ill build up another one, maybe just sell this one complete cause I'd like to have the new crossmember on my Jeep to demontrate and stuff.

Thanks to everyone who voted for me. I hope Ill see you on this side of the mountains again this summer.

Back