NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 9th, 2019, 14:13
NAXJA Forum User

arb twin compressor

I've used the search function to no avail.

I just purchased an ARB twin compressor on board air.

Where did you guys mount yours? I want it mounted in the engine compartment if possible.
Old March 9th, 2019, 21:57
NAXJA Member

Re: arb twin compressor

Made a custom bracket from scrap metal. It fit in the same mounting holes as the air box. Heat from the pre-cats has not been a problem. I need to run the mounting bolts through some rubber to absorb vibrations while the pump is on.

Old March 10th, 2019, 12:56
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenz View Post
Made a custom bracket from scrap metal. It fit in the same mounting holes as the air box. Heat from the pre-cats has not been a problem. I need to run the mounting bolts through some rubber to absorb vibrations while the pump is on.

how does the intake work? does it take a lot of moisture from being in the location from rain/snow?
Old March 10th, 2019, 23:30
NAXJA Member

The cowl intake is made by trailheadoffroad.com I think there is a video or two on the web that shows install and taking on water.

Basically you cut a hole in the firewall, passenger side of the cowl. A new cone air filter is inserted into the cowl and plumbed back to the intake.

Air is drawn from the drivers side and flows across to the passenger side. There is no opening above the air filter so rain and snow do not directly get sucked into the air filter. Excess water drains out of the cowl below the air filter where the hole is cut in. I have not had any issues with rain or snow.

It does have a loud sucking sound when you first start up as sound travels through the dash vents. It quiets down some after it warms up a few seconds and is more noticeable when you step on the gas. I'm not bothered by it at all although some people are more sensitive to the noise.
Old March 13th, 2019, 12:49
NAXJA Member

I know you said underhood but I mounted mine back in the Hatch. I'll have to get pics. But I wanted it inside the cabin to keep it out of the elements. I've heard the arbs mounted under the hood don't last at long due to the excessive heat 🤷*♂️🤷*♂️
Old March 13th, 2019, 14:11
NAXJA Member

I mounted mine underneath the rear passenger seat. It is out of the heat and dirt.
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport - 4.0L/AW4/242 T/C, Dana 30/Dana 44, ARB lockers + compressor with OBA, 4.11 Spicer Gears, Dana 44 modified for ABS and it works, 4 inch OME/DPG Hybrid Lift, 31-10.50 BFG AT on Jeep Ravine wheels, Tom Woods SYE and driveshaft, Adjustable JKS lower control arms. Armor: Rigidco front bumper with tow bar mounts, Driving lights, and Fog lights, Rigid D2 LED Lights, Detours Slimline rear Bumper with tire carrier, JCR stage 3 sliders, transfer case and fuel tank skids
Old March 13th, 2019, 16:37
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

I never actually realized just how big those compressors are!
Old March 13th, 2019, 22:54
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTProuhet View Post
I know you said underhood but I mounted mine back in the Hatch. I'll have to get pics. But I wanted it inside the cabin to keep it out of the elements. I've heard the arbs mounted under the hood don't last at long due to the excessive heat 🤷*♂️🤷*♂️

Probably right about the excess heat causing damage. So far it performs like new. I don't react well to loud sudden noises So I thought under the hood would be more tolerable. Guess I could move it behind the rear quarter panel and insulate. I'll keep the cowl intake where it is.

Pretty cool when vendors show up on the threads.
Old March 15th, 2019, 05:23
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailheadoffroad View Post
I never actually realized just how big those compressors are!
Right, holy cow, once it's put against some comparisons.

On another note I would opt for an in cab mount, clean air, cooler temps, ease of adding a tank if you ever want.
Are you sold on under the hood, or just like the idea?
Old March 15th, 2019, 06:13
Coffee Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post

On another note I would opt for an in cab mount, clean air, cooler temps, ease of adding a tank if you ever want.
The problem is an in can mount is that those compressors aren't exactly quiet.
99 4.0/AW4/231, with a few basic bolt ons.

Click here to support
Old March 15th, 2019, 07:07
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysstarion View Post
The problem is an in cab mount is that those compressors aren't exactly quiet.
True, my ARB in cab compressor is not whisper quiet however, unless there is an air leak it rarely runs and then only for a few seconds. Normally it will run for a few seconds only after a couple of wheeling breaks where I have shut off the engine 2-3 times. It does wake up the passenger sitting back there.
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport - 4.0L/AW4/242 T/C, Dana 30/Dana 44, ARB lockers + compressor with OBA, 4.11 Spicer Gears, Dana 44 modified for ABS and it works, 4 inch OME/DPG Hybrid Lift, 31-10.50 BFG AT on Jeep Ravine wheels, Tom Woods SYE and driveshaft, Adjustable JKS lower control arms. Armor: Rigidco front bumper with tow bar mounts, Driving lights, and Fog lights, Rigid D2 LED Lights, Detours Slimline rear Bumper with tire carrier, JCR stage 3 sliders, transfer case and fuel tank skids
Old March 19th, 2019, 21:50
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post

I like the idea, I also don't want the extra noise. Being set up for expedition rig, I need all the room in the cab and on the roof for equipment and tents, ext ext.