NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:34
NAXJA Forum User

Fire Extinguisher????

Wanted to get some feedback on mounting a fire extinguisher in the back of my 2000 XJ. I'm not really looking to drill all sorts of holes into the plastic trim or floor to secure it from rolling around but am debating mounting it to the subwoofer box that I have in the back. My concern is that subjecting it to constant vibration from the speaker would cause some form of damage to it or make it unsafe/unusable? Anyone else have one mounted like this or have some input before I make a decision on it?
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:32
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Fire Extinguisher????

Probably not, there isnt really any vibration sensitive components in those.

Think about raceing rigs that have theirs attached to their cage. Those have to get tonnes of vibes, yet they are ok.

I would be more concerned about altering the performance of the sub.
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:01
NAXJA Forum User

Vibes wouldn't hurt it all at (if anything it may help in a sense by keeping the chemicals mixed) You should grab a full metal one anyway (metal nozzle etc), that way theres no risk of any components cracking or breaking
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:04
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

If it's a dry chem, flip it over once in a while so the contents don't get compacted into a solid block.

That being said I'd put another one up front if you mount it in the back... it looks nice and stows well in the back, but isn't easy to get to.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:22
NAXJA Forum User

mounted a 20.00 auto one from lowes on the floor between the door and seat.had to use it once on a fellow xjers rig. (power steering line popped and caught fire) wow it happend so quick, the extingusher was quickly and easily accessed without me even thinking while getting out of my rig. i definetly recomend having an exstiguisher easily accessable up front as well.
Old October 7th, 2010, 03:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
If it's a dry chem, flip it over once in a while so the contents don't get compacted into a solid block.

That being said I'd put another one up front if you mount it in the back... it looks nice and stows well in the back, but isn't easy to get to.
Yep, smack it with a plastic mallet severely on occasion.
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:29
NAXJA Forum User

Yup....X2 on what Crash02 said. I had the same situation and having it handy sure cuts down on the response time.

In fact, our local club requres a fire extinguisher that's within reach of a SEATED driver.