NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 18th, 2012, 14:07
NAXJA Forum User

Do late inside door handles ever go bad?

Just finished frankening some door panels together for my '99, before I toss them in the trash is it worth drilling out the top trim and inside door handle - or do they never go bad?

FYI, I used some #8 x 5/8" sheetmetal screws and #8 flat washers to mount an armrest from one door panel (with a cut out speaker hole) on another door panel (which had a peeling armrest) after drilling out the heat sealed stud things, and it worked fantastically, I just need to find some vinyl dye to match the rest of my interior and it'll be "like it never happened." And I managed to get the two "good" front door panels mounted with two clips left over for the junk box

And if the guy to whom I promised the armrest and mirror switch is reading this - I haven't forgotten about you, but I lost a day yesterday due to a screaming headache so I haven't drilled your armrest off the door panel yet. I promise I'll get it out this week.
Old March 18th, 2012, 16:39
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Do late inside door handles ever go bad?

Pretty much any part can go bad, but the door handles are not a common failure. But if you have a place to keep them and they are still good you may want to hold on to them.
Old March 18th, 2012, 18:27
NAXJA Forum User

They're fine, except I had to steal one clip from one.

Sidebar question - does anyone make decals for the "lock" buttons? Would really like to "restore" those mostly because I drive several different cars and can't remember which way "lock" is Or am I looking at doing something heinous with hobby shop dry transfers (do they even still make those?) and matte lacquer?
Old March 18th, 2012, 18:53
NAXJA Forum User

Note from DJ
Dry Transfer Decals
http://store.alshobbyshop.com/drytransferdecals-2.aspx
This is just one of many W-sites I found wit Google search Dry Transfer Decals