NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 11th, 2017, 12:49
NAXJA Forum User

Re: popping noise from driver side floorboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
Based on all that it is probably the spacer between the steering box and frame rail. The stock spacer is aluminum and will crack when the inner fender flexes. Lots of aftermarket steel replacements out there.
That makes sense. I felt I was able to wiggle the steering box up and down which seemed weird given how snug it is against the rail.

Is it worth upgrading or replacing the steering box while I'm replacing the spacer? What about the rest of the system? Definitely looks like wherever any 2 bars connect needs to have the bushing replaced.

Thanks for your help!
Old March 11th, 2017, 13:49
NAXJA Member

stock box should be fine, id get a new steel spacer and get new bolts cuz the factory ones like to snap, new power steering lines may not hurt and sounds like some new TREs are in order
Old June 20th, 2017, 19:52
NAXJA Forum User

Reviving an old thread here, but I finally replaced my stock steering box spacer and unfortunately it was not cracked and the issue persists.

I'll be replacing my TREs within the next week, then will start looking into the other recommendations here.
Old June 21st, 2017, 03:15
NAXJA Forum User

I had a very similar issue until I replaced all my stock control arms with adjustable uppers and lowers I made. No more knocking under hard breaking or potholes.
Old June 21st, 2017, 03:20
NAXJA Forum User

Tie rod ends usually contribute to steering slop and wobbles not clunks or knocks. Remove your sway bar and report back. Just don't take curves on the freeway at 85. As long as your shocks are in good order you will be fine around town. Personally I've found that dealer bushings at the frame are the best way to go. They are soft and have nylon reinforcement. Harder rubber/plastic from NAPA/MOOG do little to dampen knocks.
Old June 21st, 2017, 15:54
Freakish Hand Strength

If there is knocking when you hit pavement roughness, suspect the sway bar bushings first, and control arm bushings second. If the knocking is related directly to turning the steering wheel, and can be felt at the steering box, suspect the track bar or the track bar mounts. Make sure the frame side track bar mount is very tight, and the axle side bolt hole is not ovuled. Consider buying a new track bar if you do not know the age and condition of the current one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....
Old June 23rd, 2017, 14:00
Only Slightly Psychotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
Failed transfer case shift lever bushings cause a knocking noise that tends to come and go randomly.
My bushings are fine as near as I can tell on my '01. But the 4WD [231] shift lever will still slip back just a little bit and when it does in make an odd rattling knock. It took a while to track it down.

Another source for such a sound can be the e-brake cable rattling on something. Generally it will only do it with the tension relaesed.

Since it is only a problem when idling it's not the cable hitting the drive shaft; that can happen too.

I have springs on the cable(s) on both my rigs to prevent one of each of these issues.

Good luck.
'87 MJ 4.0 AW4 231 D-44 Stock-ish
SoCal Chapter VP