• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cable speedometer upgrade

Mbsk01

NAXJA Forum User
I might get a few points for longest registration/lowest post, but here goes.

About a year ago, bought an '88 MJ 4.0/2wd/B/A-10, not running. Got it running, shortly thereafter and have been driving it most of the last year.

About a month ago, I bought a '99 XJ 2dr/4wd/ax-15/np-231 to do 4wd swap. I got the trans and transfer case in, and after fighting with a few details, got it running/driving a few days ago.

Question is at this point, what is the best solution to getting a working speedometer? It didn't work when I bought it. Installed a new speedo cable, and it worked for @160 miles. Should I be looking at Dakota? Or is an aftermarket gauge a better solution?

Id pop the gear back out at the tcase end and take a look. If they are installed at the wrong clocking position it can eat the gears.

Not saying that there arent good digital/gps options out there, but this isnt a common problem. So the solution you have is likely the most straightforward one out there. It might just need some adjustment to make it work right.

Also, if it did eat the gear, you are going to have to pull the tcase and go through it. Its gonna send trash through the fluid and clog up the pump screen at the very least. That will cook your tcase.

Well, I am a dumbass.

I didn't realize the speedometer adapter that was in the Peugeot transmission would pop right out and slide right into the NP231 in place of the electronic one. So that issue is handled.

Speedometer still doesn't work, but at least the problem that had me befuddled last weekend is solved and I can slowly eliminate what the true problem is at this point.

Back