• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Wishbone MIGHT work! lotza PICS

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
I *think* I have the wishbone correct, and maybe managed to fabricate something that will actually hold up to the side-loading that wishbone suspensions have to endure. The key is the articulating joint that has to do two jobs: locate the axle from side-shifting like the tracbar used to do, as well as maintain caster/pinion angle throughout its travel in its arc. The only thing left to do now is test the damn thing!

I have a bunch of detail pics of the jont itself , if anyone is interested, I'll post them.

here's the updated pics:

wishbone31.JPG

wishbone33.JPG

wishbone35.JPG

wishbone36.JPG

wishbone40.JPG

wishbone43.JPG

wishbone45.JPG

wishbone46.JPG

?

Seems like a straight A frame would take more side stress without bending.

I'm sure there is reason to your design.

I think adding a track bar to this would invite problems with the bar fighting the bone. A bar moves the axle sideways a little through the travel. This design, if it works out, will keep the axle moving STRAIGHT up and down.

ted, hinkley knows that....it was a predictable attack on my welding (or forgetfulness of)

palm.....before the parabola, I was trying to get either a true fourlink, or an a-frame to work.....

with a fore-aft (paralell) dimension of 36" (not link length point-to-point) you can't do a straight arm without hitting the bellhousing and oilpan......the parabola is the next strongest, most geometrically efficient shape next ot he triangle.....stronger than a basic U arm.......I bumped into an engineering site (I think it was some kind of grad thesis) on calculating the stregth of geometric shapes that could be quantified without bringing inherent material strengths into the mix....pretty interesting although i couldn't really make heads or tails of it in order to understand the math, just grasped enough to understand that the parabola was a good route to go in lieu of a straight link.....

real testing is needed to back up the this type-written nonsense.

Last edited:
Is there going to be issues with the left side of the wish hitting the DS on flex?

Lookin' good capt'n. You may want to consider spreading your mount plates a little wider so that your heim bodies don't hit the sides before they run out of misalignment. Maybe you've thought of this already, but in the pics things look kinda tight. I use 1" spacers on either side of my heims. Could probably go down to 3/4" and still be fine.

FAB-u-lous

I can just picture you like "Edward Scissor Hands" only with shears, center punches and bastard files.

That is some fine looking junk :cool:

Your upper mount height appears to be the same as mine. My problem isn't with the driveshaft, it's with the top of the housing during compression. Mine just barely kisses it under full compression.

Wow..... that's some hell for stout fabbing. Are you planning to box in or reinforce the frame end mounts?

Hope I'm wrong, but with the longer arms, your joints are going to have to stay real tight to keep the axle located left-and-and-right.

Your upper mount height appears to be the same as mine. My problem isn't with the driveshaft, it's with the top of the housing during compression. Mine just barely kisses it under full compression

one slump,

I guess I never looked to see where I'd be right about there. I focused so heavily on the d-shaft, I didn't check the housing......I guess I figured I'd have it cleared witht eh funky shape.....I'll look at it tomorrow.

jeff........yep!

but I know that anytime you go to moab, you carry your "heim tightener" tool with you.......please remember it.

:D

With a straight bushing at the axle do you think it is pliable enough to allow for the axle misalignment that will occur in articulation? I personally think the bushing will flex enough but you might find yourself killing bushings in the process.

I went with a vertical mounted 3" JJ for my rear wishbone. The JJ is able to turn through the threads and I obtain the same rotational freedom that you are looking for with your bearing swivel thing but the combination of the vertical mounted bolt and the JJ itself allows for the axle misalignment when one side drops and pulls that end of the axle forward.

Question about the LCA's. Putting the bend in just before the axlemount, does this cause give in the arms on rocks or under flex? Something like that and some how working in a triangled 3 link (kind of like the wish but with straighter arms) on front and rear, but have no experience in the the way it would work.

I will be contacting the city of St. Louis today. Expect a call from their attorney's for infringing upon a historical landmark.

Flowers

C-ROK said:
With a straight bushing at the axle do you think it is pliable enough to allow for the axle misalignment that will occur in articulation? I personally think the bushing will flex enough but you might find yourself killing bushings in the process.

Greg,

You can't tell from these pictures but,

That joint right behind the bushing rotates 360* on tappered bearings. Plenty of movement for articulation.

mark
orgs mfg

Lol, @ Flowers,

Looks good, looks real good, and your moms must be on summer vacation because those welds look real good.

If its not 100% you can always redesign the whole thing at SlickRock along side of Bones!

Chew... no barky fab in that thing..bacca

Back