• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Beach/L.A./Marina del Rey

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
I'll be in the above areas on 03Aug-05Aug for some interviews/jobsite tours.

Anyone want to meet up and have a beer and educate me on the areas a bit?

I'll be moving to L.A. September 1st, give or take a week, and am thinking of Sherman Oaks, Westwood, West Hollywood, Santa Monica for areas to live, but would like to know if there are other friendly areas to live in.

Also, what is the best route from LAX to Long Beach. Google and MQ have the maps, but they arent always the fastest when traffic is factored in.

Thanks all.

Gavin

Fergie said:
Also, what is the best route from LAX to Long Beach. Google and MQ have the maps, but they arent always the fastest when traffic is factored in.

Thanks all.

Gavin

What map? The 4 or 5 is it baby.

Best route? The Shore Line Route from the Santa Monica VOR, 132 radial thru the LAX Class Bravo. Not even 15 minutes to the Vincent St. Thomas bridge.

a01.jpg

:D

--ron

Fergie said:
but would like to know if there are other friendly areas to live in

Yup, West L.A., Palms, Mar Vista, Culver City, Marina del Rey and if the airport doesn't bother you, Playa Vista, Westchester, and the other beach cities going south (Manhattan Beach, Hermosa, Redondo...).

West Hollywood sucks, IMO. Not that I have anything against the gay folks there, but for the most part it's a pretty crappy area.

I live just above MdR (3 miles from the beach) in an area that is Los Angeles, but has Culver City services, and it's pretty nice and quiet here for such a densely populated area.

If you and some other folks are up for a M&G on the West Side, I can certainly make arrangements. :)

Where are you going to be working?

For me that would be the biggest factor in deciding where to live. Commuting to Long Beach from Sherman Oaks would suck!

IslanderOffRoad said:

For me that would be the biggest factor in deciding where to live. Commuting to Long Beach from Sherman Oaks would suck!

Yep! Find the job, then find a place to live. From LAX to LBC, depending on time of day - straight shot down the 405 or you can take Sepulveda Blvd to PCH into Long Beach.. lots of lights, and traffic. Some of the local folks (Torrance - Grimm, Sequoia) probably know different routes.

Also, where in Long Beach? It's pretty big...

STAY OFF THE 405!!!! when i moved back out here i drove on the 405 twice a day and didnt go over 40mph for 2 years. if you want to go back and forth from those areas take the 105 to the 110 to the 405 towards long beach, its a longer drive, but less time. in LA the quickest route is not always the shortest from A to B.... thats why nobody out here measures distance. ask anybody, "how for to (destination)" every time its "oh about (x) minutes" not "oh (x) miles"

good luck, as stated above, now you're fucked like the rest of us :D

Yeah dood... Stay off the slow o five. And don't move to west Hollywood. That is the local Gay district literally (sp). Anyway welcome. I might be trading places with you. I have interveiws in Pheonix next weekend.

IslanderOffRoad said:

Yeah... you'd be better of to commut to LB from OC (depending on which part of LB we're talking about and whta time of the day though too.

Gerr said:
I think in a earlier thread his wife was gona be at ucla so that might determine his geography as well
Good catch: I forgot about that. Yeah... the UCLA thing will definately limit the geography a bit.

Wife will be at UCLA...main deciding factor in location of habitation. I don't care if I have to commute, it'll just be salt in the wound, so to speak.

I've got a job in MdR, LB, or L.A. proper.

I don't care if I'm in the Gay District or not... I just need a decent place to live for a few years.

I'll be out the the 3rd of August, and back the 5th. Hopefully my Friday night and early Sat night will be free to go carousing and such.

Let me know if any of you would like to meet up and show me around the local bars and such.

Fergie

Gay district or not, WeHo is overpriced for what you get, parking sucks, and forget trying to drive around on the weekends.

I'd look at West Los Angeles, Westchester, Venice, Playa Del Rey.

If I'm in town (might be in Vegas) I'll meet up.

You should work in MDR (closest to UCLA) and live in the general area to minimize traffic time. You could live in PDR, Marvista, SM, W-LA, Westchester, or even Playa Vista (pricey).

Regarless, the west side (UCLA area) SUCKS in regards to traffic.

I know some idiot that lives in Westminster but commutes to the Valley though.......:doh:

Fergie said:
Let me know if any of you would like to meet up and show me around the local bars and such.Fergie

How about combining that with a M&G on the West Side?

We could have dinner at CPK or El Torrito in the Marina, there's plenty of parking available.

finally a west side meet and greet!
i work footsteps away from the el torrito in mdr
and i live in westchester....
its a nice area.... but i hope you like traffic.
THIS IS NOT A JOKE
..seriously, traffic is bad

xcm said:
THIS IS NOT A JOKE
..seriously, traffic is bad
i agree, traffic is horrible over there, but i'll come out if we can find somewhere with a parking lot big enough and empty enough for a bunch of XJs :D

GrimmJeeper said:
if we can find somewhere with a parking lot big enough and empty enough for a bunch of XJs :D

Both of the places I suggested have plenty of parking, but I've found that service at El Torrito can be pretty bad, so I'd prefer CPK.

I'll start a separate thread so we can get a headcount.

Back