• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frt D44 pitman arm ?

MDMIKE

NAXJA Forum User
I just got the waggy 44 under the front of my XJ and now I'm trying to figure out what to do about my steering. I have my ZJ pitman arm at the machine shop waiting for the guy to ream out the tie rod end hole to the larger bore. He said he wouldn't be able to get to it until thur or fri so in the meantime I thought I would see what all you guys are doing about your steering. I'm currently running flat top knuckles on both sides that are drilled and tapped for high steer arms, but for the time being I was going to run the stock waggy steering until funds allow me to purchase the high steer arms. My question is, what pitman arm are you guys with high steer arms running? I've heard that the pitman arm has to be longer (not dropped any further) than usual. Is there some factory application that I could get that would fit my steering box, be long enough, and have the right bore for the waggy tire rod ends? Also, is there a company that sells the high steer arms with tapered tie rod ends or do they all come with standard 5/8" holes? TIA
MIke

I've got the same setup but I'm running hi-steer arms from Shakerbuilt, they're not as nice as some but the price is nice $125/pr. I've double sheered and notched my pitman to work at about 12-14" lift and it droops fully with a z-bent draglink. I used 1/4" plate to box & add the double sheer to the ZJ pitman arm. I notched it and boxed in the notch with 1.5" .120 mild steel tube.

I used to run a huge Skyjacker dropped pitman arm and I dont recommend it. It multiplies the leverage on the steering box and will lead to cracks in the framerail or a ripped off steering box.

Back