• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ unibody

Matt S.

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone explain to me what variations there are between the XJ and MJ unibody construction?? Is there an actual frame under the bed of a MJ?
MATT

It is concidered an Unibody. The cab area is just like a XJ with the addition of extra supports. The bed area is a continuation of the unibody subframe. It is made up of formed sheet metal and welded to gether with spot weld, hence the unibody contruction. The bed does bolt to the rear section and the MJ can be driven without the bed on it, so it hasn't any structual value in the bed itself. The MJ is a bit stiffer of a unibody with the extra supports it has over the XJ.

mark
orgs mfg

Wow, well that is really good news! What years was the MJ made and was there alot of them?? Or where can I find out about all that kinda stuff???
MATT

The MJ was made from 1986 through 1992. In '86 it was available only as a longbed and came with the 2.8L or the 4-cyl. '87 saw the intro of the shortbed, as well as the 4.0L (same as the XJs).

There are MJs around, but far fewer than there are XJs. Perhaps that's why I feel like I have to "save" every one I can get my grubby mitts on. They were great trucks, and IMHO would have sold a lot better if AMC had only offered an extended cab version.

Like this:
25458600.jpg

25458586.jpg

Jeep on!
--Pete

Back