NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 25th, 2020, 13:32
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Disc swap?

I take it you measured just between the c clip and wiggle room, or did you use a dial indicator on the rotor with the axle installed?
Old June 25th, 2020, 13:43
NAXJA Forum User

I don't have a ARB, but if you be able to just install the shim just before the c-clip maybe prior to slipping the axle in?

Back to a checklist......
Did you let the PV or MC go dry during install?
Do you have any SS brake hoses?
Are you sure you have the bleeders oriented correctly - common mistake

Before you make yourself crazy, I would at least try bleeding the calipers off the rotors with some wood or something to fill the gap.
Old June 25th, 2020, 14:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
I take it you measured just between the c clip and wiggle room, or did you use a dial indicator on the rotor with the axle installed?
I pre-measured (with a dial-indicator) the end play off my new axles directly off the flanges as to get the best reading.
Old June 25th, 2020, 14:52
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
Ahhh, gotcha, that's not quite what I pictured. I was think something more fitting with the pocket for the c clip.

I have an arb, it might be tricky to to get shims in past the retaining ring thing . I think I may still have some extra various sized C clips from ARB, perhaps some wider ones.
It doesn't look there is anything too unusual inside......
Old June 25th, 2020, 18:33
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
It doesn't look there is anything too unusual inside......
naw thats it, clearance is tight with that ring you see in the middle, a bit tight getting clips back in, shims on top of that would be a little hassle.

master cylinder never ran dry, im racking my brain as to what PV is?
good thought on caliper bleeder orientation, they are facing up, all hose is stock hardline with new ZJ soft line.

based on your experience perhaps this is all just by nature of the new set up and the little bit of play shafts have.
Old June 25th, 2020, 20:09
NAXJA Forum User

PV is "proportioning valve", and if neither the MC or PV went dry then no issues. Rubber lines will generate a softer feel specially now that you have 5 of them. I'd definitely replace all the hoses with SS and start again from there.
Old June 26th, 2020, 08:37
NAXJA Forum User

Ok I miss spoke, I have braided lines front and the main to the axle. I supposed I can still look at custom braided rear lines.
Old June 29th, 2020, 18:41
NAXJA Forum User

Disc swap?

Crack the fittings going from the central line out. Then to passenger side banjo then bleeder then repeat on all driver side.

Bleeding at just the bleeder often leaves air upstream.
I've seen no air come out of bleeder then crack the banjo and tons of trapped air comes out.

My guess is you have air in the lines a spongy feeling petal.

Youl likely not notice much if my difference in pedal feel between braided nd rubber.

The calipers float so I'm not entirely sure what shiming the axle is going to do for anything since the caliper will just move to follow it.
I even just looked at my 8.25 disc braked set up. Maybe I'm missing something on the hole shimming idea

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old July 3rd, 2020, 19:30
NAXJA Forum User

I’ve got a 95 with D35 and ABS. I did the ZJ rear disc swap and retained my ABS. I have extended front braided lines, new quality front rotors and Black Magic front pads. I have the ZJ prop valve but never fitted it. I’m on 33s and brakes work good. No sponge or low pedal. Took a lot of work to get good brakes. New front calipers. Grinding/welding and smoothing the rails that the pads run on, as theses become grooved and the pads hang in them and twist/wear awkwardly. Lots of flushing and bleeding. The Black Magic pads were one of the best things I ever did.
Old July 3rd, 2020, 20:09
NAXJA Member 4950

You shouldn't have that much of a difference in pedal travel if the system is properly bled. My guess is you either you still have air in the system or you have air getting into the system.
On mine I honestly don't even thing there is an inch difference in travel between drum and disc.
I did not switch the proportion in valve still using the stock drum one.
I used the ebrake cables from Morris also. I have yet been able to get them to work very well. They work well enough for me so I haven't bothered taking the time to figure it out

It sounds like there is still air in the system and you should start by making sure the system is bled thoroughly including the fronts.
Old July 5th, 2020, 18:27
NAXJA Forum User

Disc swap?

Correct properly working system drums or disc will have very little if any free pedal travel.

I bet many XJ's suffer from spongy pedal after longer brake lines are installed or disc 's bolted on.

Noone wants admit they have shitty brakes after doing a disc swap. So they live with spongy pedal and talk up the badass disc conversion they just bolted on and never got the air out of the system.

Good to see this not being the case in this thread

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk