• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein 5100 quick question.

casual

NAXJA Forum User
looking at some 10" bilsteins that are litterally new off a friends Silvy for a deal that can't be passed up.
They are 10.46" travel..27.36" extended/16.95" collapsed & 195/70 valving..
The valving seems super light for anything go fast. But lets hear some opinions. How would this fair with say 275/78 bilstein 7100's up front?

Would be on a fairly light rig..No bumpers 33x10.5's & 4.5" lift..nothing extra besides lift & tires!!

I've had better luck with stiffer rears than fronts, but that's just my personal feeling. at the end of the day what works best for your driving style is what matters. I find that with softer rears i end up bucking and riding the bumpstops in the back because they can't keep up with the front end and the springs are doing all the work. once I went to a softer valving up front and stiffer rears the back end just sucked up what the front was handling.

Others might disagree with me but that's what felt best on the butt dyno for me, like i said it's all about you and how you drive. As long as you get something re-buildable you can tune it however you want depending on how it's working for you. I don't have any experience with the 5100s but people around here seem to swear by them... I don't know if they are can be rebuilt or revalved. If not I would choose something else.

From what I understand they are neither rebuildable or revalvable. But I've heard people say they can be rebuild? So who knows.

I was only looking at them because they are $50 and have less than 6k on them. They were bought in April of this year. He just got Fox 2.0's & hes selling these for super cheap!

I think the 5100s are rebuildable whereas 5150s are not. 5100s don't have resis or the availability of one, so if that is a thought, they won't work. If you're planning on doing go fast stuff, I'd imagine you want a reservoir.

I think the 5100s are rebuildable whereas 5150s are not. 5100s don't have resis or the availability of one, so if that is a thought, they won't work. If you're planning on doing go fast stuff, I'd imagine you want a reservoir.

5100s and 5150s are not rebuildable

5100's and 5150's are not user serviceable.... 5160's, which i was hoping they'd make rebuildable... are semi rebuildable.... youve gotta tap a hole for a schraeder valve....

WHY, oh WHY bilstein does this shit, i dunno.... they'd probably sell a lot more shocks if they took this serious...

They sell a lot of shocks. But a lot of people don't worry about tuning their ride. They just want something to bolt on and go.

I love my 7100s, but I imagine I'd love my Kings or Foxes if I had gone that route instead. :D

I love my "CrazyJim special" 9100 coilovers, I recommend people go that route :D unless your drunken buddies decide to "help" you by changing your bent upper control arm in the desert, then you might be better off with something a little easier to compress. :D

I love my "CrazyJim special" 9100 coilovers, I recommend people go that route :D unless your drunken buddies decide to "help" you by changing your bent upper control arm in the desert, then you might be better off with something a little easier to compress. :D

Hey now, we got you rolling again. No one said you would be able to drive home tho. :cheers:

I keep finding "deals" on 10-12" 2.0's..Most foxes & 7100's but people flake or say oh someone else is interested & are offering me X amount more than you lol..
$200 for a pair of used 2.0 that will need to be rebuilt is a ok deal I guess, could do better but I'll take what I can get. But then they come back with, "Oh someone offered $250"

Its been an uphill battle finding the correct parts lol...Still need to find a ax-15 either 2wd or 4x4. Just need to ditch the POS peugeot.

And you better make sure at least three of those friends are over 250lbs...:D

5100's and 5150's are not user serviceable.... 5160's, which i was hoping they'd make rebuildable... are semi rebuildable.... youve gotta tap a hole for a schraeder valve....

WHY, oh WHY bilstein does this shit, i dunno.... they'd probably sell a lot more shocks if they took this serious...
Have you looked in their catalog?

They sell the 5100 series shock which is a non-serviceable/rebuild-able series.
They sell the 7100 series shock, which is their low line serviceable/rebuild-able series.

Do you also moan that Old Man Emus non-serviceable shocks are non-serviceable? How about Pro-Comp?

I don't like it that nobody sells an inexpensive rebuild-able shock. They just cost more, OK, I get that. But why whine that a product marketed with a specific set of characteristics/specifications doesn't meet a different set of specifications? I don't get it.

OK, I'll quit ranting now,..

i say that because the 5100+ SHOULD BE, im my eyes, rebuildable. DEFINATELY 5150+.... so when the new and improved 5150, the 5160 came out. i assumed they fixed the 5150's MAJOR problem.... unserviceability.+

...i understand their catalog just fine.

Think of it as a business stand point. How would they sell more shocks if there user rebuildable? They wont cuz youll rebuild it years later when the shock goes bad.

They sell more now because you have to replace them and not rebuild them. But honestly the 5125 on my van are what, $100 total with tax. Replace them when they go bad. Thats cheaper and easier per shock than if you had a camry with struts.

If your really going that crazy and need to tear down, rebuild and revalve a shock, buy the proper 7100 shock.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Think of it as a business stand point. How would they sell more shocks if there user rebuildable?

ask fox or king. they sell shocks because some of us enjoy the.... finer things in life, like shocks that arent, in your assessment, designed to fail.

5160's, which i was hoping they'd make rebuildable... are semi rebuildable.... youve gotta tap a hole for a schraeder valve....

I see Bilstein has a rebuild kit listed in their catalog for the 5160. Is it a full rebuild like a 7100 or? whats does Semi mean?

ask fox or king. they sell shocks because some of us enjoy the.... finer things in life, like shocks that arent, in your assessment, designed to fail.

A shock isnt designed to fail, but they all fail,fatigue or whatever, sooner or later. Either replace or rebuild. But the 5100 is inexpensive enuff to replace than to rebuild. I would think parts and labor to rebuild a 5100 if it where rebuildable, would cost more than the new shock.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

I see Bilstein has a rebuild kit listed in their catalog for the 5160. Is it a full rebuild like a 7100 or? whats does Semi mean?

the 5160 doesnt come with a schraeder valve... so you cant recharge them without drilling and tapping a schraeder valve.... but they make rebuild parts... thats what i mean by semi rebuildable.

Back