NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 11th, 2018, 13:08
NAXJA Forum User

RC drop brackets and lca length.

Hi I have a zone 4.5 lift kit and i just ordered some ironman adjustable uppers and scored some rc drop brackets used locally. Ive read that I want stock length lca for drop brackets...i currently have the 4.5 zone fixed length lca they are 1/2" longer than stock i believe. Will these work?Also any go to bookmarked write ups on steering,suspension and pinion geometry would be much appreciated as well. Thanks!
Old August 12th, 2018, 12:25
NAXJA Forum User

Re: RC drop brackets and lca length.

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html

There's a nice table with lengths using RE or RC drop brackets. Scroll to the bottom
Old August 12th, 2018, 12:55
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks!
Old August 12th, 2018, 13:22
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Punisher View Post
http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html

There's a nice table with lengths using RE or RC drop brackets. Scroll to the bottom
So if I needed to shorten my lca...can I temove the shims or do I not understand correctly
Old August 13th, 2018, 07:05
Freakish Hand Strength

The control arm chart is a suggestion for where to approximately set your control arms. I have (unknown length) Rubicon Express 3.5" lift fixed length control arms and they work fine with my drop brackets. I would recommend that at least one set of control arms be adjustable, the other set can be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....

Last edited by Tim_MN; August 13th, 2018 at 07:10.
Old August 13th, 2018, 09:18
NAXJA Forum User

I just bought some iron man fab uppers... The chsrt is approximate howndo they get these numbers? Measuring caster vs pinion angle? Lets say I did want to shorten the lca what does removing shims affect?
Old Yesterday, 09:53
I Jeep, therefore, I am..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmadman View Post
I just bought some iron man fab uppers... The chsrt is approximate howndo they get these numbers? Measuring caster vs pinion angle? Lets say I did want to shorten the lca what does removing shims affect?
Any shims being used now will push your axle forward, effectively like lengthening your control arms. Removing the shim effectively shortens them.

If you have no shims, then that's it.

As a rule of thumb, adjustable lowers are for setting wheel base, and adjustable uppers are for fine tuning pinion/driveline angle.
Member #133

Kleptomaniacs help themselves, because they can't help themselves......
Old Yesterday, 17:29
NAXJA Forum User

I see thanks...i just have to find a good write up on caster and pinion angle , the one I keep finding is 404ed...i was going to say start with the lower shims because mine are fixed but tose shims wont really change my wheel base much tho right?