• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Firestone Destination M/T

StuckXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any experience with these tires? They got good ratings on the tire rack site. Is it worth the money saved buying tires on line with the shipping cost of about $70+? I was looking at the 30x9.5x15 on my stock rims, will I have any major rubbing? Any recomendations (different size, store or site to buy, anything... related) are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

BTW its a 92 stock except smitty built tube bumper and daylighters...
-Steve D

My dad has some on his '98 XJ. He really seems to like them. The first couple of outings he thought he had made a mistake, cos they wouldn't grab anything. But he decided that he needed to run a few pounds of pressure lower (15-17 versus the 20 lbs he was used to running before) and it solved the problem.

I just put a set of 33's on today....although I don't have offroad experience yet, their on road manners, wet traction, and quietness are excellent.

They run true to size, have a little more technology in them than others, and for the 33's have 22/32 tread.

Try Here for the best internet prices I've found.

Good Luck!

John

I have been running them (33X12.50s) for almost a year. I think they are awesome! I think the big selling point for me is they are quieter than most MTs.

I took the the tirerack prices to my local firestone dealer and he beat them hands down.

Great value for a MT. my 2 cents :)

StuckXJ said:
Anyone have any experience with these tires? They got good ratings on the tire rack site. Is it worth the money saved buying tires on line with the shipping cost of about $70+? I was looking at the 30x9.5x15 on my stock rims, will I have any major rubbing? Any recomendations (different size, store or site to buy, anything... related) are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

BTW its a 92 stock except smitty built tube bumper and daylighters...
-Steve D

the 30s will fit a stock wheel fine.. but expect a little rubbing on the LCAs and some in the rear too depending how sagged your springs are... nothing destuctive but you will get it...

Thanks for the imput. GI-John did you use that site to order them? Thats the cheapest ive seen them too. There not too price for an m/t either. I figured it will rub some on the lCAs, anything bigger than 225 will, and in the back i'll just deal with it untill i replace the springs in the summer.
-Steve D

I know many people who run the other "popular brands" and I almost took the dive myself... however,

I have been running these MT's over a year now (33x12.5) and they are just plain awsome!! no regrets.

People ask me all the time on the trails about them because they "see" them working on the rocks and mud.

NOTE TO READER: Firestone makes DAYTON tires, look for the "TIMBERLINE" MT's. They are exactly the same tire as the Destinations, but at a lower price.
:lecture:

I don't know anything about Dayton's performance off-road, but we put some Dayton road tires on my wife's Chevy P/U (before we traded it in on a KJ).
I was very impressed with the level of quality & performance. When I bought them, the guy told me that Dayton basically uses 'last year's technology' from either the Bridgestone or Firestone tires that they are compared to. It's all in the family, so if you've ever run Bridgies or Firestones and have been happy then I'm sure the Daytons will work for you. And yes, they were quite a bit less than the same rated tire from either of those two other brands.

ive been running 33 12.50 timberline mts since the begining of the summer. i love them, they have been as tall as almost every other 35 ive pulled up next to. and taller than some 35s ive seen. that might have something to do with they are on a 15 x 7 wheel. they hook up great on everything ive had them on, they do expessialy good on rock. i just wish they made them bigger than a 33, im gonna sell mine before long just cause im goin bigger. if they made them bigger i would buy them in a heartbeat.

kolby

StuckXJ said:
Thanks for the imput. GI-John did you use that site to order them? Thats the cheapest ive seen them too. -Steve D

Ordered them last week, got them and installed them yesterday. I still can't believe how quiet they are compared to my old tires (32" Uniroyal MT's)

I picked mine up when Firestone had a buy 3, get 1 free sale. Worked out to about $131.00 per tire for 33x12.50 15's. I think the BFG MT is a pretty good all around tire, but the Destination MT is a step up in most categories. 20k miles, still tons of tread and couldn't be happier.

Running the Bridgeston Dueler MT. Basically the same tire. Love it in the snow & mud. On dry pavement it is quieter than some other MT's. In the wet it is pretty ok. Some pavement tends to make them slide. Mine are the 30x9.5x15 flavor on TJ Gamblers. No rub, no problems. They wear like iron, ton of tread after 12K miles. Got mine local for $125 each mounted and balanced and the lifetime replacement warranty. HTH

I've had the Dayton Timberline MTs on for about a month now. Went to tellico the morning after i got them on. They hooked up great, had real good on-road manners. They hum pretty good around 20 or 30mph, but after that, you cant hear them over the xj. They clean out REALLY well. Mine are 31x10.5, and they have deeper treads than all other 31s i've seen, as deep as some 32s and 33s. Most of the guys from my club run BFG MTs, but at tellico, whenever we'd stop, mine were always the cleanest. Got tons of compliments, everyone wanted to know what they are. I love this tire!

Back