NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 19:58
NAXJA Forum User

Question on mounting Bilstein 7100's

It Saturday and because it's a three day weekend it will probably be Tuesday before anyone at Bilstein will be answering their phone to get anm answer. You guys have always been a good source of information in the past.

I'm installing Bilstein 7100 shocks in the front of my 90 XJ. Because the shock mount area is so narrow I can't place the upper shock mounting eye as I would normally, that being parallel to the front bumper or perpendicular to the side of the vehicle.

Both ends of the shock have a Heim joint that allows forward and back movement of the upper shock as I have mounted it.

The lower shock is mounted in the usual way, parallel to the front bumper.

Any harm in how I installed it?

Thanks for you help......
Fred
Explorer 1
Old September 3rd, 2011, 20:22
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Question on mounting Bilstein 7100's

you be fine unless you are completely bombing the whoops all day long, or have CRAZY flex/travel. those heims will handle the misalignment. i usually tuck the reservoir more away from the tire, as if in rear of the shock as opposed to the side,but im not sure it would hit anyways.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 20:35
NAXJA Forum User

Mine are mounted facing rearwards.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 23:29
NAXJA Forum User

You should not be able to grab body and move back and forth. they make spacers you will need to trim that fit between mount and heim to take up any space.. Also move rez to the back or front of the shock body.

Like this:
Old September 4th, 2011, 07:43
NAXJA Forum User

Perhaps the upper stem /eye conversion mount can be rotated to 45* and the reservoir can be further rotated around the shock body to tuck it away niceley. Also, if you loosen the hose clamps and twist the reservoir the hose will begin to twist a bit to help keep it from rubbing on the inner fender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer 1 View Post
It Saturday and because it's a three day weekend it will probably be Tuesday before anyone at Bilstein will be answering their phone to get anm answer. You guys have always been a good source of information in the past.

I'm installing Bilstein 7100 shocks in the front of my 90 XJ. Because the shock mount area is so narrow I can't place the upper shock mounting eye as I would normally, that being parallel to the front bumper or perpendicular to the side of the vehicle.

Both ends of the shock have a Heim joint that allows forward and back movement of the upper shock as I have mounted it.

The lower shock is mounted in the usual way, parallel to the front bumper.

Any harm in how I installed it?

Thanks for you help......
Fred
Explorer 1
Old September 4th, 2011, 19:04
NAXJA Forum User

or a peice of rubber hose split down the middle, with a couple zip ties... that stainless braid will file thru sheet metal if left vibrating long enough.

also, hope you waxed them 7100's, they sure is purdy!