• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant Issue Question

SV-BDN

NAXJA Forum User
1576194061-15822247_1.jpg

I broke the top elbow on the heater control valve (top right elbow in the picture)

I have a replacement part on order and it will be in on Tuesday night, but I need the Cherokee to drive to work on Tuesday morning (53 miles round trip).

I glued the elbow back in with JB weld clear epoxy, but I am not sure it will hold. I am going to test that tonight, it will have had 24 hours to cure. I plan to hook it up tonight and run the car in my driveway, see if the JB weld will hold.

My question is, can I plug that elbow, and the hose that connects to it, and drive the cherokee that way?

I do not want to make the engine overheat, but from the part description I'm guessing this feeds the heater core? I can make the plugs hold with hose clamps, and I will replace the part as soon as the new one comes in

If it were me I would remove the valve completely and hook the hoses directly to the heater core. More work to plug it and you will be driving without heat.

If it were me I would remove the valve completely and hook the hoses directly to the heater core. More work to plug it and you will be driving without heat. The valve does nothing more than shut off coolant flow to the heater core when its not in use.

If it were me I would remove the valve completely and hook the hoses directly to the heater core. More work to plug it and you will be driving without heat. The valve does nothing more than shut off coolant flow to the heater core when its not in use.

Can I just replace it with a 4-way connector? or it is 2x 2 way connectors?

How does the coolant flow through he valve to the heater core?

The best and easiest way would be to just run two new hoses to the heater core that are long enough to reach without a connector.

9373d1261140243-new-heater-control-valve-leaks-again-heater_valve_open-1-.jpg

Answered my own question, should be good to with 2x 2-way connectors. maybe later I will replace the hoses and go direct to the heater core.

The best and easiest way would be to just run two new hoses to the heater core that are long enough to reach without a connector.

If I've read correctly, hoses for a '97+ would be the proper molded hoses to go directly to the heater core?

If I've read correctly, hoses for a '97+ would be the proper molded hoses to go directly to the heater core?

Correct. 97+ XJs dont have the valve at all, basically it just shut off the coolant to the heater core when it wasn't on to decrease warm up time and increase AC cooling.

Correct. 97+ XJs dont have the valve at all, basically it just shut off the coolant to the heater core when it wasn't on to decrease warm up time and increase AC cooling.

Thanks! I'm going to just go with the connector quick fix for now, and source some '97+ molded hoses for later. Just need to be able drive the Cherokee in to work, doesn't have to be pretty.

Back