• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 with ABS problem... (creating one)

red_01_xj said:
to bad you didnt just use a dana 44 from a xj with the abs and shafts and tones from a dana 44 zj

I know it is possible to put ABS on the D44. I just didn't want to pay $300 for one that is 2 decades old and have to rebuild it completly to start with. Not to mention the 8.25 is just about as strong as the D44 and all that I wil need. But now it would have been a lot easier... even if I used the tone rings I have all I would have to do is drop the hsafts off at the machine shop and say put the rings here. I had no idea that such a litle bit of axle shaft was sticking out from the 8.25 tube's end.

I'm going to talk to a machine shop next week to see if this is feasible.

-Chris

Its almost done. I was at the machine shop today and we got the tone rings fitted to the axle shafts. Looks like it will work.

Parts used:
2000 8.25 29 spline axle
95 ZJ disc brakes
95 ZJ tone rings
machined adaptor for tone rings

Basically we machined a step in the axle shaft where it meets the hub flange (don't know if that is the right terminology or not, but its the part that the lugs go in to). We then made a spacer to move the tone ring into the correct position. Then the tone ring was machined out, a step cut in it and it was put on the spacer. Imagine putting a small piece of pipe on the back of the flange with the tone ring on the end. That will get the tone ring over the axle tube with plenty of clearance and in the correct area for the sensor. There is still plenty of room to knock the lugs out still. The air gap is good and constant so unless something odd happens it all should work. Will have pics tomorrow. And will know if it works in a few days.

-Chris

awesome cant wait to hear about this...i do have one question about the abs in general are you using the sensors from a cherokee or grand cheorkee...im having a bit of a problem with my disc brakes...i think if i would have used the ones from the grand cherokee it might have been good...but i didnt i used the ones from the cherokee...if im not mistaken the tone ring and the sensor have to be in direct line? is this correct...if so i need to grind back a bit of my senor bracket and walla it should work right?

Last edited:
I don't know what your sensor to tone ring looks like. Are you the one that put ABS on a D44?

I used the tone rings and sensors from a ZJ. The tooth count is what matters. Both the XJ and ZJ ABS system uses the same tooth count tone ring (IIRC 52 or 62). However, the ZJ tone ring is a larger diameter. On my D35 (where the disc brakes were previous) I got all the ZJ disc hardware plus the axle shafts and the sensors. It was nearly bolt on besides for cutting a notch in the axle flange and splicing in the sensors.

Besides the tone ring being in a certain position on the ABS sensor it also has to be at a certain air gap(gap between sensor and tone ring teeth). The one for the ZJ is 0.92 to 1.45 mm OR .036 to .057 inches.

-Chris

no im trying to keep it with discs on my 35

Here are a few pics of sthe swap and the tone ring configuration.

P1110738.jpg

P1110740.jpg

P1110742.jpg

P1110747.jpg

P1110751.jpg

P1110753.jpg

Last edited:
i take it your using the zj sensors...i quite havent gotten it to work yet
(im not using the back plates and tried running the abs like the xj's drums however the sensor and the ring are missaligned)

I've gotta hand it to you Talyn... you are the first person I know of that has made ABS work on a XJ 8.25. That's a lot of work, that most of us would opt not to do, besides the fact most of us would rather not have ABS in the first place (but I won't get into that).

Nice job.

PS. You better not put anything like "8.25 with ABS" in your sig line or we'll get a bunch of newbies who read that saying ABS came on (our) 8.25s too!

red_01_xj said:
(im not using the back plates and tried running the abs like the xj's drums however the sensor and the ring are missaligned)
Yes, I am using the ZJ sensors. You need to use the ZJ sensors and the ZJ tone ring unless you fab up some sort of bracket to use the XJ sensor and XJ tone ring. I have seen this done on an D44 though.

-Chris

EricsXJ said:
I've gotta hand it to you Talyn... you are the first person I know of that has made ABS work on a XJ 8.25. That's a lot of work, that most of us would opt not to do, besides the fact most of us would rather not have ABS in the first place (but I won't get into that).

Nice job.

PS. You better not put anything like "8.25 with ABS" in your sig line or we'll get a bunch of newbies who read that saying ABS came on (our) 8.25s too!

Hehe.. I have created the elusive 8.25 with ABS. People always pop up saying they have one, but they never provide pics of said axle.

Its such a simple solution though. I already had the ABS discs working on my D35 so I knew what was involved in that and was familar with the ABS system.

I bought the 8.25 thinking I could just have the tone rings machined out and put on the 8.25 shafts. But I was wrong on that, as there isn't enough shaft sticking out past the axle tube. So I had to come up with another way to attack it. This is what I came up with. Simple and it should work (need some new thrust washers, so I haven't put the axle back together yet.) It also helps that I had a great machine shop to work with.

-Chris

I give ya credit on the work, if that works out properly as it seems like it should, well, good work.

Last edited:
Congrats on that, I was going to do the same thing, but I just gave up, I figured that it would be too much work/cost to have a machine shop do that, and the payoff of maintaing a crappy ABS system that hinders offroad ability didn't seem worth it. I DD mine, drive in all kinds of snow/ice, and feel much more comfortable without ABS, but to each their own.

Talyn said:
Yes, I am using the ZJ sensors. You need to use the ZJ sensors and the ZJ tone ring unless you fab up some sort of bracket to use the XJ sensor and XJ tone ring. I have seen this done on an D44 though.

-Chris

I have a D35 with ZJ discs and ABS on one of my XJs and I would like to install a D44 with discs and ABS on another. I would like to use ZJ aluminum D44 axleshafts in a XJ steel D44 axle which I think can be done, is there a write up on that?
I'd like to get as much info as possible before I begin.
The other thing I need to know is whether the ZJ D44 discs can fit the XJ D44.

Last edited:
ok so i should run back and get the shafts for the zj dana 35

falcon556 said:
I would like to use ZJ aluminum D44 axleshafts in a XJ steel D44 axle which I think can be done
I want to see these!:roll:

red_01_xj said:
ok so i should run back and get the shafts for the zj dana 35

I used all the ZJ hardware, including the sensors. I made a cut on the stud mounting plate to match the ZJ and then it was easy to install the ZJ sensors which plugged right in the box just like the XJ used to.
I could have used the ZJ shafts that I found at a 4X4 shop. I talked to the guy and he was telling me how he likes to keep some spares, so I asked him why not just press out the rings and let me have them (for $15-20 can't remember, it was cheap). I told him that if he had to use the shaft on a Jeep XJ or ZJ with ABS all he had to do is install the customer's ring.
I tested my ABS to make sure it works by driving over a strip of sand, gravel etc. and hitting the brakes after the front tires had cleared the sand.
If you would like to see pictures of my conversion, send me your email.
Now, I'd like you t tell me everything you know about D44 brake and ABS conversions.
Thanks.

falcon556 said:
I have a D35 with ZJ discs and ABS on one of my XJs and I would like to install a D44 with discs and ABS on another. I would like to use ZJ aluminum D44 axleshafts in a XJ steel D44 axle which I think can be done, is there a write up on that?
I'd like to get as much info as possible before I begin.
The other thing I need to know is whether the ZJ D44 discs can fit the XJ D44.

I don't know much about the ZJ alum D44. I do know that it has an aluminum center section, but I doubt the axle shafts are aluminum. I don't think there is any gain from using ZJ D44 axle shafts.

As for the disc brakes I don't know if the ZJ D44 discs are different from the D35 discs, but if you used the D35 discs all you would need to do to make them fit is open up the axle tube in the brake bracket and IIRC you have to re drill the bracket for the axle flange studs.

-Chris

Talyn said:
I don't know much about the ZJ alum D44. I do know that it has an aluminum center section, but I doubt the axle shafts are aluminum. I don't think there is any gain from using ZJ D44 axle shafts.

As for the disc brakes I don't know if the ZJ D44 discs are different from the D35 discs, but if you used the D35 discs all you would need to do to make them fit is open up the axle tube in the brake bracket and IIRC you have to re drill the bracket for the axle flange studs.

-Chris
You are correct, only the center section is aluminum. The rest must be pretty close to the standard D44. One other difference between the ZJ and XJ D44 is that the ZJ came with disc brakes and ABS designed for it.
If I could use the ZJ parts it would be close to bolt on, the shafts will have tone rings and I'm willing to guess that the number of teeth will be the same with the D35 because it would have to match the front axle. I checked and both types of ZJs get the same front end parts.

Back