• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Issues

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
This is not on my jeep this is for another guy that is having issues.

He has a 96 2wd 4.0 and it eats fuel pumps for lunch. He said he has gone through at least 8 over the years. He is to the point that he doesn't drive it anymore. Even the dealer replacement only lasted 6 months, the shortest amount one lasted was 3 weeks.

What causes fuel pumps to go, there has to be something else wrong to be going through pumps like that. I need some ideas..... He is now wanting to use an inline fuel pump. I told him I would do some research and see if we couldn't figure it out.

The tank needs to be removed, cleaned, and sealed. Every time the fuel pump is replaced, the filter/sock needs to be replaced.

Verify there are no crushed points in the fuel line, causing the pump to have to work too hard.

Don't run the tank dry or even below 1/8 tank. The pump is cooled by the fuel. No fuel = no cooling = overheated fuel pump.

Verify 12v at pump when running. Constantly running the pump at lower than designed voltage can lead to premature failure.

I know he told me that he has cleaned out the tank and replaces the filter each time. I'll have to check the voltage and the fuel lines. Is there some kind of pressure regulator in the fuel system that might cause the pump to be working too hard also?

With a fuel injection type fuel pump, the pump runs all the time at full pressure basically blocked up at the end. Restriction in the line can not have any effect on pump life, only whether the engine runs or not. The most likely cause of early failure is running the vehicle on low levels of gas. When the pump sucks air, the fuel pump motor is running dry making it over rev and damage the bearings. As old man says the gas also cools the pump. Only other thing I can think of would be the venting system letting air in to the tank. If it was blocked up, it could make it harder for the pump to work on the pump supply side.

Bosch #69302, rockauto.com had them on sale recently, about $72, cost me $78 delivered.

Back