• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Party on Saturday?

BigMike80

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 4.5" RE lift and 34" Tires I want to put on this Saturday. I also have my SYE sitting here waiting to be installed with the stock front driveshaft.

I dont have a spot to work on the Jeep so I'll need a driveway too. Pizza and beer/soda will be on me!

In with a driveway if I cant get my hands on a manifold by then, even then though maybe we could have a manifold swap'n lift install'n party.

Well, if you're doing it this weekend, I already promised my beer drinking efforts to Robert Prater on Saturday, and Sunday is Father's Day. I'd be more than happy to help the following weekend however.

Oh, some advance drunken advice tho, make sure you have a GOOD set of snap ring pliers for the SYE install....and don't even think about taking the T-case out to do it. You'll spend more time on removal and reinstallation then the actual SYE install. And for the nay sayers, yes, you can do it with the $4.99 set from the flea market, but it's a ton easier with a nice set, and doing the swap whle the t-case is in is no issues either, mainly since you yank the shaft out to do most the real work. The rest is just buttoning it back up.

Last edited:
OK, so it's going to be Saturday at Homebrew's place starting at 10:00am. It would be really helpful if someone that has done an SYE install could come by since neither of us have done it before.

Feel free to call me at 858-401-2240 for details.

OK, so it's going to be Saturday at Homebrew's place starting at 10:00am. It would be really helpful if someone that has done an SYE install could come by since neither of us have done it before.

Feel free to call me at 858-401-2240 for details.

ok, here's how to do the SYE:

take the crap off the back. Pull the shaft out. Swap gears onto new shaft. Put shaft back in. Bolt back together same way you took it out except intall new tailcone and rear yoke. Mount CV driveshaft. Go wheeling.

First time I did it, I was kinda freaked too. Honestly, the fear is your biggest obstacle. The first time I did it I followed the directions to a T...removing transfer case and working on a bench. The next few installs I just didn't bother anymore.

Paul is MORE than capable of handling this for you, although you should set aside a couple hours as it's your first one. As I said, the only drag is the snap rings that hold pieces together. If you removed all the bolts and parts still don't come off, look for snap rings. And again, a good set of snap ring pliars really help!

The instructions are way too complicated to try and follow, so just read them first then use them as a general guideline with common sense leading the way. It's really like a lego assembly....it only fits together one way, and it's a very simplistic design.

If this wasn't posted after Robert's post for the same day (which I already promised myself to...not to mention I'd have to be in OC in the afternoon anywho), or the Dustbowl M&G/night run, and now the SoCalXJ Fiesta Island picnic, (all occurring the same day) you'd probably get a better response. Looks like Ted is now heading to Fiesta Island as well. So, if you find that you and Paul are all by your lonesome, I'll again offer my service for the following weekend. In fact, I'll even bring a couple growlers of Stone then. =)

We can for sure get the lift on I think he can roll a few days without the SYE if we dont get that far.

We can for sure get the lift on I think he can roll a few days without the SYE if we dont get that far.

That works too. I can even try and get back early Sunday, although I don't know what your plans are like. I can even help ya after work one day, or, if you're going to be home early, and he can get a day free, I can just call in sick. I'm good with anything. I do know it can be a little frustrating fighting with both lift and sye in one day....normally the lift is frustrating enough, but by the time you get to the sye, you're already buzzed, sore, bloody knuckled, and experiencing a lack of patience....oh wait, that's me all the time. =)

you'll b fine without the SYE for a while. I ran a Rustys 4.5" lift with no SYE for a year. Wheeled it hard too.

I might be in later. I have to take someone to the airport on sat, but i cant remember what time. Prolly late morning.

PM Sent

What's for lunch?

Plan to start on this at 10 if mike can roll out of bed in time, Im sure I'll be up at o dark thirty with the kids.

Just finished.

The lift is on but I need to get the alignment done and SYE installed now. It's pretty scary to drive at the moment...it starts wobbling like its gonna fall apart if I even think about turning the wheel while going 30mph or more. Also the steering feels REALLY loose. I can't wait to get it all finished.

The lift is on but I need to get the alignment done and SYE installed now. It's pretty scary to drive at the moment...it starts wobbling like its gonna fall apart if I even think about turning the wheel while going 30mph or more. Also the steering feels REALLY loose. I can't wait to get it all finished.

An alignment will take care of most of that. You've probably got bump steer going on not a whole lot you can do about that without the adj control arms. You can home brew a t case drop to get you by until the sye is done thats fairly easy and cheap to do.

Back