• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding up a 8.25-Do or don't?

yj_evolution

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody, i have a '94 XJ with a 4.0, AW4, d30 front and a 27 spline 8.25 rear. it has 33" tractor tires and is ONLY used offroad. my question is this: will the 27 spline 8.25 hold if i weld it up? it's usually only run in the mud and dirt, never rocks or pavement. it's open right now and i'd like to have both back tires pulling but i don't want to spend the money on a locker, so i was thinking of just welding it up. i have 4 other vehicles, 2 of them jeeps so you know i don't have the $. i trust you guys though, so do you think it will hold up or self destruct? thanks.
Also, anybody ever welded up the valleys of the side gears (fozzy locker) instead of doing a full on lincoln locker? curious as to how good this method works. i would think it would be a better and stronger way, but would create more of a "shock" load. thanks for the input.

Last edited:
You should be ok if you keep way off the skinny pedal.

weld it up and wheel the bag off of it. If ya bust it it is only about $100 for another complete 8.25

the few 8.25's that I have helped to weld up we welded the side of the spiders to the carrier and then filled in the teeth on the spiders as well. Probably a bit overkill, but worked and 2 of the 3 that I have done for guys are still on the trail being wheeled. The other self desrtucted when it was on rocks @ 4000 RPMS!

Since it's off-road only, I too say weld it up.
I ran a 29 spline welded on 33s for a couple years through all terrain types with no problems. I wouldn't want it on a DD, but for what you're doing, it should be fine.
I wouldn't do the fozzy locker though, you are right about the shock loading, just weld the spiders up solid.

Lets see pictures of it with the tractor tires.
YES weld it up. But take your time and do it right. Remove diff from axle housing,remove ring gear,clean with brake clean,pre heat diff housing with a torch,turn the heat up high. When finished welding let cool slowly. Remove any slag or spatter clean extra good than put back together.
Than enjoy real traction.

Last edited:
Weld that pig, I've been running a welded 27 spline 8.25 for 6 months on 35's. I don't hammer on it, and it is only temporary til my 8.8 is done. Off road only rigs are just fine welded.

Here you go May Pop. Nobody laugh at my little jeep since it's 3 colors. i'm thinking about seeing how well i can paint, then it will all be one color. still undecided on welding it up. also, if anybody is considering these tires i say go for it. even without lockers this thing amazes me. it goes anywhere. got them at discount tire, they're Firestone 12.5L15's.

Back