• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NWFest Winch / Locker / Axle progress

Sorry for the low detail, but , these are iPhone Pictures. I'll post up some real nice quality pictures tonight. After looking at the front end with the Fascia still attached, I decided it all needed to go! Stock bumper and brackets were mashed bad by the last owner rear-ending a car in a parking lot. A little 4lb persuasion got things straight, and the backbone bolted right up! The Warn 8274-50 is mounted to a Detorus Backbone system modified to mount said winch.

And, as a bonus, the $250 winch worked right off the bat - no BS necessary. Wired right up to the side post terminals on my Optima Yellow Top too.

Still to-do:
Front: Aussie Locker and Brakes
Rear: Yukon Axles, Lock Right and Brakes. Hitch and custom Mud Flaps too
Engine: Electric Fan Bypass-activation switch & Possibly a super-secret engine cooler as well!

Painted Backbone:

Side view with trimmed off fenders:

Front-ish view:
Note it does stick up over the hood a bit, but, it's a secure feeling seeing that winch perched out there! Bonus with the Rusty's HD suspension is the front end has not lost much ride height, and, due to the HD package including higher rate springs for the front for carrying a winch/bumper, it's almost level now. :yelclap:

--

Eric

Jeep with stuff on it. (F/R tow points now too. Can I come play with y'all now???)

Last edited:
Wired right up to the side post terminals on my Optima Yellow Top too.

FYI, that is a big no-no. The main leads inside the battery going to the side posts are much smaller than to the top posts. Because of the amount the winch draws, it is NOT recommended hooking it up to the side posts of an Optima.

Looks good though!

John

John, do you have a link to a site where you got that info from?

At max draw, the winch pulls 450 amps. I would think that, on a 1000 amp battery, 1000 amps would be available from whatever terminal they put on it?

Of course, I could be wrong, as usual. :jester:

Eric

I thought the backbones was designed to work around the bumper? Either way I'd do some grinder work to fit the stock bumper around that, that would help keep the cops off your behind and protect your facia a little.

Looks good though! Good luck on the other stuff!

~Scott

The Backbone is designed so you COULD retain the stock bumper if you want to window it for the tow-points. You re-use the stock bumper brackets, and readjust them on the bumper to fit.

I'm NOT re-using MY bumper because the chick that owned it before me rear-ended a car and mooshed the bumper, brackets, etc...

AND, since NWFest is less than 2 weeks away (!!!) I figure that NOT having the stock crate-paper-like bumper there means there's less of a chance I'll push the bumper up into the headlights. :laugh: Been there, done that with the last Jeep. That's why the Sawzall came out last night. If it ain't there, ya can't damage it.

Eric
Jeep with Stuff.

The Backbone is designed so you COULD retain the stock bumper if you want to window it for the tow-points. You re-use the stock bumper brackets, and readjust them on the bumper to fit.

I'm NOT re-using MY bumper because the chick that owned it before me rear-ended a car and mooshed the bumper, brackets, etc...

AND, since NWFest is less than 2 weeks away (!!!) I figure that NOT having the stock crate-paper-like bumper there means there's less of a chance I'll push the bumper up into the headlights. :laugh: Been there, done that with the last Jeep. That's why the Sawzall came out last night. If it ain't there, ya can't damage it.

Eric
Jeep with Stuff.

Right on, to each his own. :wave1:

See ya at NWFest. :thumbup:

~Scott

So. do you think it's best to not tempt fate and throw the P.O.S. back on?

I could drag out my cavey-cave-man club and pound things back into a somewhat representative shape...

Eric
Jeeps: So easy, even a caveman can do it.

yes put the bumper back on, that setup screams gimme a ticket for every 20mile of freeway I travel.

Here's a few better shots, still from my iPhone though... havn't had time to DL stuff off the Sony camera yet.

Warn 8274 mounted on a Detours Backbone mounting system. http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php

Eric
Jeep with Junk.

Last edited:
Yeah, bolt the bumper back on as best you can. The po-po will spot that thing a mile away and ticket you on sight.

Why is it when I suggest something no one listens until after someone else says the same thing? :dunno:

You know what...don't answer that. :thumbup:

~Scott

You were the first to say it, if that makes you feel any better.;)

You were the first to say it, if that makes you feel any better.;)

:cheers:
Why thank you Doug, I feel better already! :laugh:

~Scott

Had you added in "...because Don Ho and the 5-0 are gonna ticket you and make you Po because yo bumper aint dere no mo"

YEAH, I may have responded. :eeks1:

Eric
"Illegal Jeep with junk"

Got'er this far, then my GF came out and demanded I get the belts changed on her Suzuki XL7 'cuz the A/C squeeling was getting embarrassing. So, the balance of the evening was spent trying to push a piece of cooked spaghetti straight up into a hole by holding the end opposite that which you are attempting to get into said hole. :gonnablow

gitter dun

I wish I could!!!

I just made a $200 Harbor Freight tool run tonight because I couldn't find my 36mm socket for the axle nuts. Then, well, lets just say stuff started jumping in my basket:

Disk Brake service Kit
Brake Bleeder
Big Honkin deepwell impact socket set for axle nuts.
Pry Bars, cotter pins, bolt kits, cutoff wheels. You name it, I might have bought it... or not.
One of my new finds there are socket wrenches with extendable handles. I bought a 1/4" & 3/8" combo and it worked nice to extend the handle to get the leverage to break a bolt loose, then compact it back down for speed of removal or just working in tight quarters. I liked it so much I bought a 1/2" drive version to carry in the Jeep along with my good Craftsman Stuff.

Now I just need the TIME to do the work... this is the 7th inning stretch. We'll see what goodness Thursday Evening shall hold.

Last edited:
Back