• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CA SMOG TEST

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
My 95 just barely passed the "NO" part of the smog test yesterday. I have two years now to clean that section up. What determines "NO" is that NOS ?? whatever NOS is!
Print out shows MAX 517 mine 516; and 770 and mine 767. Everything else was easily passed.

no is nox i just failed that part the other day but my printout stated different numbers than your specifying max allowed here was something like 800ppm (parts per million) at 25mph and 1100ppm at 15mph i blew those away at 1300ppm at 25mph and 1500 at 15mph...

long stor short my smog guy said that he doesnt think my egr valve is operating.
-Chad

this should help
http://www.smogsearch.com/index.php?page=faq

The numbers I put were from NO (PPM) on the form. Strange it says"
15 MPG MAX 517 AVE 136 MEAS 516
25 MPG MAX 770 AVE 124 MEAS 767

Maybe the year or something affects it?

no is nox i just failed that part the other day but my printout stated different numbers than your specifying max allowed here was something like 800ppm (parts per million) at 25mph and 1100ppm at 15mph i blew those away at 1300ppm at 25mph and 1500 at 15mph...

long stor short my smog guy said that he doesnt think my egr valve is operating.
-Chad

this should help
http://www.smogsearch.com/index.php?page=faq

It could be EGR, or it could be the coolant temp sensor in your block (under the header) which will also cause that.

NO should actually be "NOx" - for "oxides of nitrogen." They contribute to acid rain.

NOx is typically caused by elevated combustion temperatures, and is solved either by the EGR (which system is of dubious utility below 9.0:1CR...) or by the first catalyst bed (the modern three-stage catalytic converter does three things; 1) reduce NOx to N2 and O2, 2) Oxidise CO into CO2, 3) Oxidise HC into H2O and CO2. The oxygen liberated in the initial reduction reaction drives the second two oxidation reactions.)

If your cat is original, it could be on its way out. Between the alleged "poisoning" of the catalyst bed by organometallic additives (used for scuff protection) in oils rated API SL or earlier, and coating with exhaust carbon over time, they do eventually stop working. Since your 1995 doesn't have the EGR system, you might want to start with running Seafoam (or some other cleaner) down the intake to clean carbon deposits from the combustion chambers, then replacing the catalytic converter about a month later (since yours is already likely to be just about shot, blow the carbon out first. That way, you don't get carbon deposits all over your nice new catalyst matrix...)

Back