• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Injector upgrade?

ptf18

NAXJA Forum User
Got a 88 XJ with the 4.0L 6. With 270,000 miles on it Im wondering if I should replace the injectors with more "modern" units. If i did would I notice any difference? Im not looking for more power so I dont I think I would want to install injectors that flow additional fuel.

Ive heard tha the yellow tip Ford injectors might be what Im looking for.

Ideas?

Thanks

Yes - yellow top Fords do well, plug right in, and the Ford O-rings are easier to install.

With 270k only you know how soon a rebuild might be necessary - but with a stroker kit, bigger injectors are a requirement, etc etc. The $100+ for injectors might be saved for them - unless you can get used take outs for less.

I don't mean to presume you need or want to do more than your post, but 270k leads me to think a rebuild will happen sooner than later, and a stroker rebuild is about the most economical way to boost horsepower for the 4.0. I've got 195K on mine and I'm looking for parts already.

I think you would be better served by the Ford orange-top 19 lb injectors--cheaper and easier to find.

The Ford yellow-top injectors are also 19 lb, but they are a Ford Motorsports item--read that as racing and more expensive.

Back