• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift kit install thread...

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
subject: 1996 XJ, stock axles.

first problem: What size are the bolts for the leaf spring/shackle? I don't have a socket or wrench big enough. I'm thinking 21mm?

second issue: where do I install the shims? under or over the leaf pack? I'm thinking the skinny side toward the front so it rotates the front of the pig upwards, helping with driveline angle.

I appreciate the help.
-Matt

Well the shims would go under, as in, between the leaf pack and the pad on the axle. As to which way they point, and the spring bolts, I have no idea as I've never dealt with either.

You were right about the shims. they're there to lessen the angle from your pinion to your t-case. Pointy side towards the front. :) Although, depending on your lift and shackle you might not need them. I used them for a long time but then i got RE boomarang shacles (Highly recomended imo) and my pinion was too far up so i took em out and it's sitting perfect now.

Last edited:
the bolt is a 21mm and the nut is a 22mm. and shims go fat end back (just to reiterate)

Wrong!!!!! you need a protractor to get your pinion angle and T/C angle if your using a stock D/S/ if you have a SYE, you need to measure pinion and D/S angle.then if pinion needs to come up fat end back. down fat end forward!! many threads on this subject..have fun

Just for reference, as I'm 'vibe phobic' and 'tcase drop phobic' (why counteract the lift?) the 3.5 RE kits with leaf packs tend to ride 'butt high', which isn't a big deal, but if I took one leaf out it might sit level(er) and reduce driveline angle difference.

I've been told it'll sit butt low, but just the second-from-smallest leaf? Well, with new bolts and all, it won't take long to put them back if needed.

My desktop PC died so I'm on my laptop that will end up with the girlfriend who has no computer of her own, and needs one for college. I'll probably be back in a couple weeks.

Just for reference, as I'm 'vibe phobic' and 'tcase drop phobic' (why counteract the lift?) the 3.5 RE kits with leaf packs tend to ride 'butt high', which isn't a big deal, but if I took one leaf out it might sit level(er) and reduce driveline angle difference.

I've been told it'll sit butt low, but just the second-from-smallest leaf? Well, with new bolts and all, it won't take long to put them back if needed.

My desktop PC died so I'm on my laptop that will end up with the girlfriend who has no computer of her own, and needs one for college. I'll probably be back in a couple weeks.

Take the leaf out and you will sag out quickly. Use the full pack and put some weight in your XJ and hit some bumps to get it flexing to break them in.

How your shackles should look when installing.
IMG_1780.jpg

The transfer case is well above your axles, which does nothing to your ground clearance all and only keeps angles in line so things run smoothly. (Literally)

This will explain everything perfectly.
IMG_1817.jpg

The more you lift, the farther your drive shaft is pulled out of the transfer case.

It will flex and vibrate and it can come out enough to break if you beat on it or have the drive shaft pop out momentarily and your whole vehicle shakes uncontrollably left or right and you gotta wait till you stop or it pops back in on its own.

Good luck keeping in control when that happens.

IMG_1810S.jpg

Overall 3.5" Pro Comp leaf pack, BDS transfer case drop, Zone 3" coil springs & 3" shocks front and rear.

Almost no vibration, only been on the springs for just 2 weeks now. Super stiff and gotta break them in once I get new tires on my 2nd set of rims.

Hope that shines some light on WHY you need to "counteract" the lift.

:viking:

**UPDATE**

3.5" RE full leaf packs and coils installed. Stock rear driveshaft died quickly due to u-joint failure and the resulting twirling on the pavement (gouge in one of the u-joint holding ears made me not trust it). So instead of replacing, I upgraded.

I now have a front XJ shaft (rebuilt) and SYE, and replaced the D35 with a Chrysler 8.25. I have vibes at 30-35mph or so, but when I let off the vibes go away and it's smooth as BFG A/Ts get. I'm thinking the pinion angle needs tipped down a little (install shims with the fat side facing the front of the Jeep). I have 4* shims sitting around... thinking of trying those.

If anyone has any corrections or suggestions let me know!

Last edited:
Good job on the SYE and the Cryco 8.25 (I hope it's a 29 spline?).

For the vibes, you need to measure the angle of the pinion, and the angle of the driveshaft. The pinion needs to be within or at 1* of the driveshaft angle.

If they aren't, get the right shims. You have experience in which way they should be installed apparently.

Sorry you're search deprived, thought I'd help you anyway.

Good luck.
:cheers:

Back