• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painted headliner

mwm

NAXJA Forum User
Im not going to cover it in fabric and i read something about fiberglass resign then going over it with a textured paint or i was thinking rock guard. anyone done this?

Not yet, but I'd like to do something similar (along with a metal sheet on back to supply reinforcement for some mounting clips, and a few other goodies...)

I see no reason why covering it with resin (polyester resin, actually. "Fibreglas" is the mat that is used for a strength member in that particular composite) and painting it would be a problem - just take your time applying the resin, and be ready to smooth out the surface. You'll want to scuff it up a bit anyhow, since the resin can be a little smooth on the surface for good adhesion...

It's also possible to just dye the resin when you mix it, which would save the painting (and if you manage to chip it, it won't show so badly.) Check with a plastics or a composite house for instructions and supplies.

5-90

Not sure if you've seen my resin/headliner page:

http://homepage.mac.com/johnvito/PhotoAlbum37.html

If I had to do it again I would add fiberglass mat to strengthen the headliner. A crack developed between the wireless door transmitter and sunroof. That could have happened on installation as that's really the weak part of the headliner. But all and all it looks pretty dang nice.

I used 1 and 1/2 cans of resin for two coats. First coat was sucked-in by the headliner. Probably need more if using fiberglas mat.

Johnny V said:
I used 1 and 1/2 cans of resin for two coats. First coat was sucked-in by the headliner. Probably need more if using fiberglas mat.

True - but probably not much, unless you're going to do both sides in fibreglas. It doesn't soak up much - you just need to get a thick enough coat to saturate the mat.

I'm assuming the "1-1/2 cans" are the ones about the size of a quart paint can, yes?

5-90

5-90 said:
I'm assuming the "1-1/2 cans" are the ones about the size of a quart paint can, yes?

5-90

The below can size...might be a little less than a quart. The more I think about, it I was running a little thin towards the end of the project, so probably two cans to play is safe. I messed up the first batch by using all the hardener at once. Had working time about five minutes or less...yikes!

_MG_0670.jpg

Back